Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I need to replace my catalytic converter but i need to know which side of the engine has the Bank 2 O2 Sensors. Left or right? any help?

·
Registered
113 Posts
O2 Sensors

In my experience the O2 sensors tend to be immediately before + after the Cat/Cats...or sometimes just before. I'd start by looking on the side of the car that the Cat is on. May not be a terrible idea to replace your O2 sensors as well when you replace your Catalytic converter...they reccomend changing them as often as spark plugs...although most people don't replace them that often.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'm pretty sure bank 2 is the passenger side.

What year Impala do you have? If you have dual exhaust, or apparently, dual converters, try switching around the o2 sensors first, and see if the code changes sides. If so, it's most likely a bad o2 sensor and not a cat.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Ive got a 96 and i have switched the sensors from one side to other last weekend and my check enginge light came back on and the same code popped up. So this would really have to be the converter right?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Possibly. Usually the rear sensor goes bad and will throw the cat code. It is recommended to change the o2 sensors at about 50k (use ac delco only) so if you're due, it's worth a try.

An exhaust leak prior to the cat (check your exhaust manifold for broken bolts, especially the ones nearest the firewall) can cause extra fuel to be dumped into that particular bank, over time clogging the cat. If the cat is clogged, you should be having performance issues.

If you do decide to replace the cats, catco makes a direct replacement that has both o2 bungs and appears to be the same as oem, though technically only oem is CARB approved, if that matters to you.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Bank 1 is the Odd clyinders. 1357 Bank 2 Is the evens.. 2468

Just think Cly 1.. Bank 1.. easy to remember.
Yeah, but that's what I'm always forgetting, or having to double check anyways- which side is odds and which one is evens. It's not like the valve covers are labeled or anything!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts