Impala Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Latetly, I have been having problems with my acceleration. Once I accelerate to about 15 to 20 mph my car doesnt seem to go faster unless I floor it. Once I reach abut 40 mph then the car accelerates like normal. Hills are the worst because then my car only seems to reach about 10 mph if that! It runs smooth and sounds fine but th acceleration thing is killing me. I have 113,000 miles on the car and it hasnt had a tune up since I bought it at 80,000 from a dealership (and I assume they had one done). I've heard it could be the cat. con., fuel injection, or the transmission. Which one sounds more accurate? I have been led to believe it sounds more like the transmission (since even with two new batteries if I dont start the car for a few days the car wont start and I have to get a jump), but Ive heard so much Im not sure. Im taking it in on Thursday to be checked but would appreciate any feedback to somewhat avoid any possible scam. Thanks

·
Registered
64 Posts
I put thread and a video of how my car sounds, check it out. My feel like there is no gas and in order to keep it on I have to pump the hell out of the pedal just to have it on, but also feels like there is something clogged up inside my exhaust, like it can't breath so I thought the worst. I change the fuel filter and put some dry gas in the tank nothing until my in-law came over and told me it was the catalytic converter, he even told me that the water coming out with black residue is good, that means the cat is mess up...so I'm calling the dealership because I have a 02 interceptor and I want to make sure what kind I have so I can buy one that's the same as the old one. Have you tried to take off the oxygen sensor before the cat converter and turn it on if you notice the difference its the cat..that's what I been told...I'm doing it too. Let me know and check out my thread

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Latetly, I have been having problems with my acceleration. Once I accelerate to about 15 to 20 mph my car doesnt seem to go faster unless I floor it. Once I reach abut 40 mph then the car accelerates like normal. Hills are the worst because then my car only seems to reach about 10 mph if that! It runs smooth and sounds fine but th acceleration thing is killing me. I have 113,000 miles on the car and it hasnt had a tune up since I bought it at 80,000 from a dealership (and I assume they had one done). I've heard it could be the cat. con., fuel injection, or the transmission. Which one sounds more accurate? I have been led to believe it sounds more like the transmission (since even with two new batteries if I dont start the car for a few days the car wont start and I have to get a jump), but Ive heard so much Im not sure. Im taking it in on Thursday to be checked but would appreciate any feedback to somewhat avoid any possible scam. Thanks
Are you seeing a check engine light? If you've got 30k on the plugs, I'd pull #3 and #4 and see what they look like. Find out if they're rich or lean and how worn they are.

This really doesn't sound like a trans problem. It could very well be exhaust, but first things first.

Also, regarding the power draw killing the battery after a couple of days, do you have the premium sound system with the amp mounted in the trunk between the back speaker mounts? Those tend to create a parasitic draw after a while.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Are you seeing a check engine light? If you've got 30k on the plugs, I'd pull #3 and #4 and see what they look like. Find out if they're rich or lean and how worn they are.

This really doesn't sound like a trans problem. It could very well be exhaust, but first things first.

Also, regarding the power draw killing the battery after a couple of days, do you have the premium sound system with the amp mounted in the trunk between the back speaker mounts? Those tend to create a parasitic draw after a while.
I had the same problem and was told that it is a cat problem. Excuse me for asking but where would I find the plugs? I am a newbie.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I put thread and a video of how my car sounds, check it out. My feel like there is no gas and in order to keep it on I have to pump the hell out of the pedal just to have it on, but also feels like there is something clogged up inside my exhaust, like it can't breath so I thought the worst. I change the fuel filter and put some dry gas in the tank nothing until my in-law came over and told me it was the catalytic converter, he even told me that the water coming out with black residue is good, that means the cat is mess up...so I'm calling the dealership because I have a 02 interceptor and I want to make sure what kind I have so I can buy one that's the same as the old one. Have you tried to take off the oxygen sensor before the cat converter and turn it on if you notice the difference its the cat..that's what I been told...I'm doing it too. Let me know and check out my thread
Sounds to me like it's either starving for gas (fuel pump, filter, kinked line somewhere) or the exhaust is plugged.

Not too helpful, but just a confirmation!

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I had the same problem and was told that it is a cat problem. Excuse me for asking but where would I find the plugs? I am a newbie.
The spark plugs? They're the things sticking out of the engine with wires coming off of there. There should be six. One for each cylinder.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Just in time!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts