Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

We have our 2003 chevy impala we purchased used in 2009 shortly after we needed to replace the catalytic converter. Back then and still now there is now aftermarket CC for a 2003 Chevy Impala so a 2002 was put in not to our knowledge but according to the shop he followed all laws that were in place then. Well it passed smog in 2011 with no problems. BUT this Jan we took it in for a smog check and it passed all emissions no problem and the guys says your #'s dont match sooooo you have to go to a referee throught the state of CA. The guy there basically says the same thing apparently with the NEW law you have to have the 2003 in there to match the car BUT you can only get that from a dealer and that part/work costs $1200 and up. Since there is no replacement part for a 2003 chevy impala???????????????????????????????? Can this be our only option how horrible is that a part that has been working well for years and can only be replaced by a dealer WHY???? Any thoghts or similar stories would help :( :cool:

·
Banned
667 Posts
Hello,

We have our 2003 chevy impala we purchased used in 2009 shortly after we needed to replace the catalytic converter. Back then and still now there is now aftermarket CC for a 2003 Chevy Impala so a 2002 was put in not to our knowledge but according to the shop he followed all laws that were in place then. Well it passed smog in 2011 with no problems. BUT this Jan we took it in for a smog check and it passed all emissions no problem and the guys says your #'s dont match sooooo you have to go to a referee throught the state of CA. The guy there basically says the same thing apparently with the NEW law you have to have the 2003 in there to match the car BUT you can only get that from a dealer and that part/work costs $1200 and up. Since there is no replacement part for a 2003 chevy impala???????????????????????????????? Can this be our only option how horrible is that a part that has been working well for years and can only be replaced by a dealer WHY???? Any thoghts or similar stories would help :( :cool:
http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResources/01_CAP&GoldShield/Factsheets/English RA FAQs.pdf

time to cash in your welfare. :giggle:
assistance upto $500
or they can buy back your car for upto $2,000..

California Vehicle Retirement Program. Vehicle Buy Back. California will buy your CA Smog Check Failing Vehicle. Vehicle Buy Back. Vehicle retirement. California vehicle retirement program. California vehicle retirement. CA Vehicle Buy Back Program.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Wow this is rediculous!! Glad I don't live in CA. Why can't you simply cut the old cat out and replace with a new one? Pss, up here I could run with out a Cat converter and even mufflers if I wanted to and get away with it.

·
Super Moderator
10,547 Posts
Wow what a rip off :WTF: I replaced my factory cat (which worked fine) with aftermarket Magnaflows and got even better readings. A pass is a pass regardless of the brand , California laws suck the big one .

·
Storm Trooper Ralf
4,334 Posts
Hello,

Thats bs. My sisters tahoe has magnaflow cats on it and it passed eith flying colors this year.

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
Man this sucks. Sorry to hear. I am so glad I left California when I did. Dang tree huggers have ruined the sate. Do you know if your cats are bolt in or welded in?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts