Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

We have our 2003 chevy impala we purchased used in 2009 shortly after we needed to replace the catalytic converter. Back then and still now there is now aftermarket CC for a 2003 Chevy Impala so a 2002 was put in not to our knowledge but according to the shop he followed all laws that were in place then. Well it passed smog in 2011 with no problems. BUT this Jan we took it in for a smog check and it passed all emissions no problem and the guys says your #'s dont match sooooo you have to go to a referee throught the state of CA. The guy there basically says the same thing apparently with the NEW law you have to have the 2003 in there to match the car BUT you can only get that from a dealer and that part/work costs $1200 and up. Since there is no replacement part for a 2003 chevy impala???????????????????????????????? Can this be our only option how horrible is that a part that has been working well for years and can only be replaced by a dealer WHY???? Any thoghts or similar stories would help :(

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Never heard of this. Sounds ridiculous as any cat from 2000 to 2005 should be interchangeable. At least to my knowledge. Our laws here aren't silly though.

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
CC

I really don't have any advice except to try and find a good used one, which isn't a great idea anyway. I have run into similar problems since OBDII came in around late 96. They got real specific, and most of the aftermarket CC's were no longer available as a cheap and legal replacements here in CA.

Jeff

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hello,

We have our 2003 chevy impala we purchased used in 2009 shortly after we needed to replace the catalytic converter. Back then and still now there is now aftermarket CC for a 2003 Chevy Impala so a 2002 was put in not to our knowledge but according to the shop he followed all laws that were in place then. Well it passed smog in 2011 with no problems. BUT this Jan we took it in for a smog check and it passed all emissions no problem and the guys says your #'s dont match sooooo you have to go to a referee throught the state of CA. The guy there basically says the same thing apparently with the NEW law you have to have the 2003 in there to match the car BUT you can only get that from a dealer and that part/work costs $1200 and up. Since there is no replacement part for a 2003 chevy impala???????????????????????????????? Can this be our only option how horrible is that a part that has been working well for years and can only be replaced by a dealer WHY???? Any thoghts or similar stories would help :(
Sounds Like the guys that was giving you that info has no clue what there talking about.... The cat are all the same also it is way to soon for it to go out... The guy sounds like he works with another guy to get more money..... If your car past and you have the paper work you are good to go.... I love cali and im movine back soon but the smog laws is a b%$#& to deal with just got to learn the loop holes....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well thats the thing I took it to 2 different shops and the referee shop and all 3 said that there is NO aftermarket CC for the year of my car which is STUPID because it passed in 2011 with the same CC and no check engine light it is just dumb!!! I all ready paid the DMV fees but with no smog certificate I am stuck :(

·
Registered
303 Posts
They either have no knowledge or just playing stupid.... what part of cali are you in... also try putting seafoam in the tank

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sacramento Area and the emissions is not the problem just the #'s dont match the factory # for 2003 it shows a 2002 CC Thanks! UGH

·
Registered
303 Posts
thats just it a 2000-2005 impala base and a LS are the same through out the years... I didnt know sac town was that dum with it..... Also do you remember the guy you took it to last time

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Look up the law for yourself, if he is telling the truth, then you can worry about it. Sounds like BS as it is, but knowing the law is your best defense.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes I called that guy and he says in 2009 he put in a part that was acceptable a 2002 CC and that if I found that part he would put it in for $50 the problem is that only a dealership has a 2003 part for $$$$$$

·
Registered
303 Posts
I agree with king but print out the section and take to them if it has anything on there that is diff...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Doesn't matter if the car passes the sniff test, those pencil pushers want to see matching #'s now, so I believe your only recourse is to follow the law.

My truck passed smog every year since I bought it in '99. In 2010, despite putting out the usual #'s on the sniff test, it suddenly 'failed' and was listed as a Gross Polluter. Come to find out they halved the output limits, and my once fine truck was now a failure. Even the smog test tech was "hey man, they want you to go out and buy a new truck to help the economy, so this is one way to force you to do it."

Here, in CA at least, it seems they are making it very difficult to own, maintain, or purchase a used car. Add in the financial market idiocy of Wall St, Cash 4 Clunkers which removed thousands of perfectly fine used cars off the market (which were crushed and the scrap sold off to China), frozen DMV fees, and increased smog test requirements, and owning used is becoming a sin.

IMO, they want people to go 'new', "stimulating" the economy, and it's worked on paper at least. Thanks to taxpayer backed bailout financing (i'm not talking about TARP here) the new car dealers and the Federal Reserve are trying to inflate another new car bubble to 'stimulate' the economy. Add in the fact that after Cash 4 Clunkers, the used car market was smashed, and many people I knew who were looking to buy used had no choice but to go to the dealer and bend over or go to one of the few remaining used car lots and buy used at nearly new prices.

So, with the ez financing, channel stuffing, and the extinction of used car lots in this area, the manufacturers (with a complicit propaganda media arm) are touting a 'recovery' in their industry. Same with housing.

So now we must give them our pound of flesh. And continue doing so until we enslave ourselves in debt once again and buy new, so that their corporate home builder and auto manufacturer owners can maintain their lavish profits and lifestyles.

/rant off

·
Registered
521 Posts
Doesn't matter if the car passes the sniff test, those pencil pushers want to see matching #'s now, so I believe your only recourse is to follow the law.

My truck passed smog every year since I bought it in '99. In 2010, despite putting out the usual #'s on the sniff test, it suddenly 'failed' and was listed as a Gross Polluter. Come to find out they halved the output limits, and my once fine truck was now a failure. Even the smog test tech was "hey man, they want you to go out and buy a new truck to help the economy, so this is one way to force you to do it."

Here, in CA at least, it seems they are making it very difficult to own, maintain, or purchase a used car. Add in the financial market idiocy of Wall St, Cash 4 Clunkers which removed thousands of perfectly fine used cars off the market (which were crushed and the scrap sold off to China), frozen DMV fees, and increased smog test requirements, and owning used is becoming a sin.

IMO, they want people to go 'new', "stimulating" the economy, and it's worked on paper at least. Thanks to taxpayer backed bailout financing (i'm not talking about TARP here) the new car dealers and the Federal Reserve are trying to inflate another new car bubble to 'stimulate' the economy. Add in the fact that after Cash 4 Clunkers, the used car market was smashed, and many people I knew who were looking to buy used had no choice but to go to the dealer and bend over or go to one of the few remaining used car lots and buy used at nearly new prices.

So, with the ez financing, channel stuffing, and the extinction of used car lots in this area, the manufacturers (with a complicit propaganda media arm) are touting a 'recovery' in their industry. Same with housing.

So now we must give them our pound of flesh. And continue doing so until we enslave ourselves in debt once again and buy new, so that their corporate home builder and auto manufacturer owners can maintain their lavish profits and lifestyles.

/rant off
Amen...

Sent from my SCH-I510 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
WOW exactly what I was thinking they want to force me to buy a new car because supposedly the CC that worked for all this time is now unacceptable and I have to get one @ COST how horrible are they to do this to people I was very happy having a paid off car. Thank you for your post..

·
Registered
285 Posts
Smog

The new law for 13 is actually suppose to make it faster and easier for us in
Ca, unfortunately with the tail pipe test gone, the techs only have one option, and thats to look for anything stupid. I actually find it amazing that it took ca so long to do what so many other states are using. If the same cat was used for 00-05 like some have said, are they just the same shape or are they different in any other way besides a production date? Does anyone know? I bet not long from now, if they are the same, it won't be a big deal. It's just the law just came in on Jan 1. And as usual, everyone is playing by the book and to the letter for worry of being fined or shut down. No-one wants rock the boat this early. Good luck, let us know if you find something out, as I am just a few miles from you outside of Sacto.

Jeff

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thats exactly what some shops said. Maybe wait for the 2003 to be added to the OK to use aftermarket Cat where ever that list is and whenever that is boohoo for me....

·
Registered
285 Posts
Aftermarket

I know none of this is helping, wished we could find something for you. I wouldn't plan on an aftermarket anytime soon. I haven't checked on one for a few years, so I could be way off here, however it seems like the aftermarkets damn near got banned in Ca after OBDII came in. I could not find one for my car anywhere that was ca legal.

Jeff

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
For as "progressive" as california claims to be, they are awfully oppressive...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts