Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK here it is guys. My 2008 Chevy Impala finally got dipped. I used 2 gal black as the base. Then I mixed 2 gal clear+ 1 gal gloss+ 200g Caribbean Blue/Green Chameleon pearl. I ran out of dip so it is what it is for now. I'll probably get another gallon or two and pearl to touch it up and do the jambs another day. Overall, I am still very pleased with the results for my first dip. I'm exhausted but I love it. I had a lot of fun doing this. This color does not disappoint. Looks much better in person of course. Let me know what you guys think. Criticism is welcomed, complements are appreciated .

Attachments

·
Makes your VISION, stop & stare
3,934 Posts
Dual exhaust with chrome tips. And i agree with auntjemima on the chrome trunk strip.

Great color choice. Idk why but somethings says black door handles.

·
Super Moderator
10,732 Posts
Like. Agree on black door handles. Is there damage on passenger side rear quarter?

·
Apex Everything
2,939 Posts
I really like the color, and it'll look even better with a few more coats. Great job! Have you considered doing dual exhaust with black tips? I think it would match the look of the rest of the car a bit better than chrome.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Just curious - how long did it take you and what was the final cost?

Anyone know how dip will hold up to rocks, etc - will it chip easier than paint or does paint chip easier? I guess even if it did get chipped up, it would be pretty easy to touch up though.

I've actually been pretty impressed with how well my dipped grills are holding up - I was worried what all of the road salt would do to it, but so far it hasn't affected it at all. I've also been through a few automatic car washes and the grills held up well.

That's another question - will a dipped car hold up to car washes ok (hand or automatic)?

·
Go Get It
15,066 Posts
Looks sick! Love the color, and it for one am glad you dipped over the chrome bar :eek:k3: once you get a few more coats on, it will will look that much better.

@jt, a fully dipped car won't do that well in an auto car wash, at least not one with brushes. Most people with fully dipped cars use pressure washers, to which dip holds up fine.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Looks great. (Minus streaking) but overall its great progress. I was going to test samples but the clear I got needs thinning. Is that the gloss dip also a thinner? Or did you have to thin the gloss/clear yourself?

The carwash is ok to use according to dipyourcar.com, as long as you give it a couple weeks to cure 100%

Price wise, each gallon is about 60-65$ each, and the pearls are like 20$/25g iirc

·
Registered
97 Posts
Great color choice, i agree with dual exhaust and black door handles as well

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry for the delay. I just ordered some more pigment so I will be throwing an extra 2 gallons on it and doing the jambs as well. That should take care of the streaking and blotchy areas. I will update once I've done all that.

I was going to leave the chrome strip but I have deleted the chrome from the car so it would look pretty out of place to have one piece of chrome on there. (although the chrome door trim pulled up when I pulled the painters tape...pissed me off, lol)

Only damage is a small dent on the rear driver door.

Not going to change the color on the registration. Its not paint, its removable so I figured screw it I'll deal with that if I run into a problem.

I would love dual exhaust but I don't have the funds for that mod at the moment.

I got unthinned gallons from awarehousefull.com and thinned with naptha accordingly. I bought the gloss as sprayable so I didn't thin that. Not sure it even comes unthinned. I already had a sprayer so that didnt cost me anything. It really depends on what you are doing, different pearls cost different amounts and require different quantities per gallon. I believe a typical pearl is 50g/gal of sprayable dip whereas a chameleon pearl requires a good 75g/gal. The website mentioned above has good pricing on dip and it really depends on what all you need. I had to buy plastic sheeting and various other odds and ends so I'd say it cost ME around 500 bucks or so, but that's just a wild guess.

The dip holds up pretty well actually. As long as you lay it down thick enough and on a clean dry surface it is pretty durable and has actually saved my rims multiple times.

I started prepping Friday night, got up at 8:30 am the next day and finished taping and cleaning. I finished dipping by 3pm or so I believe.

I've gone through car washes with my rims with no issues and once I've let my car cure for a good couple weeks I think it'll be fine.

I used a Wagner Master Series Control Spray Plus HVLP 350 watt. Worked great, super easy to use.

·
Go Get It
15,066 Posts
If they give you a hassle just peel off the mirror cap or something else that's easy to redip.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
popping the hood or opening a door would suffice. I haven't done the jambs yet, thats for round two B)

1 - 20 of 81 Posts