Impala Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

· Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured I'd start my own thread - not a lot of flashy mods, I'd like to keep this OEM+ (stole that from TSS, RYD, or KG I believe!). Tasteful yet different.

Current mods:
28% tint all around, stainless steel tips, lowered on SSC springs with stock struts, LED interior lights + trunk strip, blacked out bowties, 12" subwoofer, Polk DXi interior speakers.

Future mods:
Depos, sound system upgrade (new Head Unit, new subs/amp, etc), LED reverse lights, Overkill possible, SS summer wheels... and more when I can think of some!

Pics:

· Go Get It
15,099 Posts
Nice work!

Can't speak for carbon, but I personally LOVE my Polk speakers, though mine are an older model than his

Reactions: carbon_x

· Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How do you like the Polk speakers? What amp are you using with them?
Love my Polk speakers! They're currently hooked up to the stock head unit - no aftermarket amp. They'll be getting an amp soon enough though, just gotta make a bit more money to do a sound system revamp!

· Registered
42 Posts
Love my Polk speakers! They're currently hooked up to the stock head unit - no aftermarket amp. They'll be getting an amp soon enough though, just gotta make a bit more money to do a sound system revamp!
Cool. I'm looking for some speakers to do a basic upgrade from stock, which will work OK with just the head unit. I've been looking at these:

and
for the rear deck.

If these are similar to what you guys have then I'll go with them.

· Premium Member
10,729 Posts
Great looking modifications. Thank you for starting a thread. The car looks really sharp in that color and with the black bow ties. The only thing that I probably am not feeling, is the added on Amber reflectors on your side door. But they are probably a good safety item.......

· Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks TSS! They came on the car - I have no idea why they are on there. Was a fleet car (rental) and then sold... and then repossessed from the buyer. Guessing the repo'd owners put them on? I kinda dig them, it sets me apart.

Got the first phase of the audio system revamp done. Head unit and 4 channel amp in. What a bitch that was, but I got it all figured out! Didn't want to fish the stock XM antenna wire all the way through the harness so I put the magnetic one on and hid the wire through the rubber gasket on the rear windshield. It looks tacky, IMO, but I didn't have many other options.

I'll get some better pictures in the daylight tomorrow... plus a wash and wax before a business trip to Baltimore on Monday. It sounds good though, now to save up for phase 2.... Sundown Audio subs and a RF amp to power them. $$$$

· Go Get It
15,099 Posts
Lookin good! :eek:k3:

· Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had the rack and pinion replaced yesterday. Drives much, much better now, and no whine coming when I turn the steering wheel.

Asked for a rotation/balance on the tires as there was noticeable vibration - figured I had lost a weight somewhere. Nope.... needs 3 tires. Apparently on two of them, there was cording on the bead? Never really heard of that, but glad that they didn't blow out on my 290 mile round trip this week. Got a third that's starting to feather (and they had to add over 4oz of weight onto that wheel to get it to balance), so I will replace the other two as well.

Now she's smooth as silk and drives like a champ. Just didn't expect to have tires put on it so quick! Ah well, at least I'm not in a ditch somewhere.

I don't have cost on the R&P replacement as it was done under warranty work - only cost $100 for the deductible and all other was free... except for the tires, of course. Now I can drive the car with a finger, it's smooooooth. Not that the old R&P wasn't smooth, but it took a little more effort to turn the wheel.

· Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Trying to come up with some good ideas here but I'm not doing so hot! Maybe you guys can help.

Thinking of my next mod - it may be something to help me personally at night when backing into my driveway. I can back really well without a camera and with using my mirrors, except down my driveway. It's pretty dark, and maybe 400-500 feet long. With my windows up, it's hard for me to see exactly where I'm backing on the edge of the gravel - and it doesn't get much better with the windows down.

Thinking about putting either brighter reverse lights in it, or maybe a toggled light that would shine down and out to light up where the car is going in reverse? Not something that's always needed, and almost for a specific use. I don't want anything that's gonna stand out during the day, really unnoticeable until it is on.

I saw the LED strips on the license plate frame as reverse lights, but I don't really want it to be seen during the day. I can't think of anything under the rear bumper that would not show during the day, either - anyone have any good ideas?

· Registered
838 Posts
Check the threads on the LED lights. There are several that contain reverse light bulbs that are much brighter than the standard bulbs and they fit in your tail lights - so no ugly strips or add-on lights.

Reactions: carbon_x

· Registered
4,123 Posts
Check out morimoto 921 LED's on theretrofitsource. Very bright. Some others also use there x.drl5 as back up lights under the bumper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We have lights! Surprised how quick they came, honestly. I'd definitely order from www.theretrofitsource.com again!

Onto the pics. So much brighter than stock, for sure, plus they have the 5000k color which I love. I'll get some night pictures later tonight. Now to get some 5000k headlights... dunno if I really want to mess with HID or what, so time to look into that!

http://i.imgur.com/TkVsHmZ.jpg/img]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/TkVsHmZ.jpg

· Registered
4,123 Posts
Glad you like them! They look great! I have loved everything I bought there. If looking for 5000k it's going to have to be HID's. Halogens that say it have terrible output due to tinted bulbs. LED's have bad output. I would go with there HID kit, 4500, pure white, or 5500k white with a hint of blue, 4500k being better on the eyes and in poor weather. Let me know if you need any help with decisions or anything for the headlights. Also, use code Steadymobbin to get %20 off your order!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Double and triple checking myself here - would like some more advice!

Going to put a new sub setup in the trunk - going with Sundown Audio SA-12's, thinking dual in a ported box. Powering them is gonna be a RockfordFosgate Punch1000x1bd (build sheets have RMS of 1400w @ 1ohm).

I'll definitely need the Big 3, but will the stock alternator and battery be acceptable? I don't want dimming, and would rather stay away from capacitors and all that. I'm *not* gonna be bumping it all the time, but to have the option would be nice. This is the only thing holding me back from going ahead with the upgrade.

Ideally I'll have the SA-12's in a ported box, although that'll probably take up my trunk space if done properly. I've never had a sealed box, but don't like the idea that it can't move as much air as a ported. Also, shows about 5 to 6 DB gain with a ported box. I've got a friend who is going to build me a box tuned to 35hz so I can hit the low low's that I've always wanted to hit, but want to make sure my P's and Q's are taken care of before I order stuff that won't work with what I've got in the car.

· Go Get It
15,099 Posts
Will the stock alt work? Yeah. But it will have trouble keeping up when you bump it. Eventually, you'll fry it. Better to get the HO alt now, if you can.

· Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Built a false floor to get rid of the stock MDF crap, as well as the stained up carpet ahead of my sound upgrade. Can still access the spare tire when necessary, and I think it looks 100 times better... and I don't mind the contrasting carpet, actually.

Also, received these guys:

Gonna do what I can to make sure my electrical system can handle them. Big 3, upgraded battery, HO alt if necessary once those are completed. Just need a box built (in the works) and we'll be loud and proud!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.