Impala Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 07 with a 3.9 We've pulled the engine to take care of a number of oil leaks as well as head gaskets while it's out. After pulling the heads we found one piston with a lot of thin flakey carbon on the top of the piston. Would this be from worn rings, or is there another possibility? Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Carbon build up is a normal result in combustion engines. I reccomend you run top tier gasoline as they contain the best additives to help keep the fuel system clean and detergents and what not which do help minimize carbon deposits. You will also want to run a bottle of BG44k twice a year as well, and I have had great results with BG EPR in the vehicles I have had with direct injection. Direct Injection engines tend to have an even bigger carbon build up issue due to the unique way in which the fuel is injected.

I may sound like a commercial for BG, but I am a huge believer in their products and they are the most used additives by the automotive repair industry and even some manufacturers.

FYI there are a few other brands out there of additives that I like, Justice Brothers is one, and Amsoil also has some good additives as well.

Here is some info for you to do some research on:

Let me know if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yes the oil detergents will clean off the carbon along with the coolant that seeped through the damaged section of the head gasket on the #5 jug. Definitely might want to run a tap down the head bolt holes otherwise this looks like a typical GM motor with over 100k miles on the clock.
I wouldn't do a valve job on this one, the extra vacuum will pull more oil up the walls, clearly it's already taking a quart between changes judging by the rings around the piston crowns.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Carbon build up is a normal result in combustion engines. I reccomend you run top tier gasoline as they contain the best additives to help keep the fuel system clean and detergents and what not which do help minimize carbon deposits. You will also want to run a bottle of BG44k twice a year as well, and I have had great results with BG EPR in the vehicles I have had with direct injection. Direct Injection engines tend to have an even bigger carbon build up issue due to the unique way in which the fuel is injected.

I may sound like a commercial for BG, but I am a huge believer in their products and they are the most used additives by the automotive repair industry and even some manufacturers.

FYI there are a few other brands out there of additives that I like, Justice Brothers is one, and Amsoil also has some good additives as well.

Here is some info for you to do some research on:

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Thank you so much for the help. I worked in a dealership and remember the BG products being well like.

·
Registered
300 Posts
From the looks of gasket at 6 O'clock you might have a leak; there.
Before diving-in on a big job; it is good practice to do a Compression Check.
Done right, ... a Compression Check will answer a few important questions about valves and rings.
You also get dealt a hand of 5-Card Stud as to what condition the Engine is in. Sometimes it's read-'em-'in-weep.

Is there a "Ridge" you can catch with your fingernail at the TOP of that Cylinder's bore?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts