Impala Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the forums but could not find my answer. I woke up this morning started my car & went to work. When leaving work try to start it, wouldn't. Starter clicks once. Lights come on radio everything powered by the battery. A guy tryed giving me a jump wouldn't work till we banged on the alternator a bit. It came on. Soo I went to the gas station thinkin it'd be fine. Got stuck there & had to call triple a. Sooo he tryed jumping it. Took a bit but worked. Now won't start at home. Anybody know what this issue is? Thanks

·
Registered
54 Posts
sounds like the alternator is bad i would take it to a local auto parts store and have them test it... if you can get it there that is (the test should be free)

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Either coincidence, or it was enough to jar the starter solenoid, which is where you should have been hitting it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lol funny just got it back from the shop. They said it was the starter. Now they said it was just the battery, doesn't make much sense battery was a tad over a year old. But starts up no problem :D

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
It is possible, but I would have expected the problem to be more consistent. Sometimes though, a bad cell in the battery can cause intermittent complete failure. And with these cars, a bad battery can stop it from even being jumped if it's dead enough.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Lol funny just got it back from the shop. They said it was the starter. Now they said it was just the battery, doesn't make much sense battery was a tad over a year old. But starts up no problem :D
Despite all the advances in technology, one thing that hasn't changed is that it's still hard to tell the difference between a bad battery and a bad starter.

A starter puts a huge load on the battery. Huge. And if there's any weakness in the battery, or any problems in the starter, you get the same symptom: click. No joy.

So, even the experts (at the shop) can be fooled sometimes.

Doug

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah but I thought it wouldn't let anything come on lights, radio, soo ill see. Save me a good 200 though so I'm glad

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Like I said about the bad cell thing, the battery can operate as long as the load is very light, you could probably even use the radio. But as soon as you apply a big load, like the starter, it gives out completely. Always charge and load test the battery before going after the starter.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
^X2! Now I have seen where the bad battery will temporally die as the starter is tried. Meaning that all dash lamps and warning chimes quit working. Now that said I am noticing more of the newer cars do just that while the starter motor is turning, which all that means is the BCM is shutting down nonessential items to give the starter motor more power to turn with. Still believe the dome light will tell you if the battery is low enough or the cause of your problem if it goes off with the door open while trying to crank the starter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts