Impala Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my middle daughter to a car show in Coppell, Texas today. That's next door to Irving, well known as home of the Cowboys until recently.

Upon arriving, I saw this Chevelle, and was really taken by it. I think it's a 1966. At first glance, it looked rather austere, and it almost looked like some sort of odd-duck b-body. But it clearly said CHEVELLE across the tail board, so I knew then for sure what it was.

The badge on the rear quarter, Deluxe 300, caught me off guard. Wiki says that's a trim level, along with 300 (non-deluxe) and Malibu.

The paint has a decidedly satin or semi-gloss look to it. Not sure if that's indicative of today's popular un-shiny trend, or if it's demonstrating what finishes actually looked like back in the day, which were often rather dull looking metallic finishes.

Anyway, here's to the Chevelle ! Every time I see one of these, I want it :)

Doug

Attachments

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
1980's Buick Grand National

This beautiful mid-80's Buick GN pulled in as I was walking by, so I grabbed a couple pics on the fly. I wish I could have captured the exhaust sound - not how I think of turbos sounding :)

Doug

Attachments

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
1967 Nova, economy car

This is a 1967 Nova, the last year for that body style. Keep in mind, this model came to life only ~5 years earlier, as an economy car. Yeah, when I look at that stack atop the engine block, I think "economy" :)

You have to admire the guy's candor - at least his fender badge is honest :)

BTW, notice there are no fender liners in front. I guess, with 600+ cubes, something's gotta give :)

Doug

Attachments

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Impala convertible

I think this is a 1966 Impala - I believe that's the year the guy told me.

It has a 327, 375HP.

That's my daughter posing in the car :)

Doug

Attachments

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
C2 'Vette

This Corvette engine was puzzling at first - that rectangular box where the carburetor is supposed to be was throwing me off. Then I got a look at the fender :)

Doug

Attachments

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AC Cobra

It's not a Chevy, but I just had to post this.

What little I know of the Shelby AC Cobras will fit in a thimble, but it's my understanding that the 427 versions had stock exhaust manifolds, cam-in-block motors, and, I think, only 1 carb.

But this behemoth had single overhead cams, two carburetors, and two belt driven blowers feeding them ! Plus, it had headers, too. So it's decidedly different than what Shelby was cranking out back in the 60's.

Doug

Attachments

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Early Camaro

Not sure what year this is. I think 67, but might be a 68. It has the 350, but I think, for a while there, both the 327 and 350 were options (not to mention 3 or 4 versions of each :) ).

Doug

Attachments

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1969 Impala convertible

Back fully on topic, here's another Impala convertible, this one a 69. When I was a kid, ny neighbor had a 4-door 69, but it wasn't nearly as sexy as this one :)

Doug

Attachments

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1964 Dodge 440 with a 318

This is a 1964 Dodge 440 model, with a 318 engine. You got to wonder what the marketing guys were thinking :)

The owner suggested I get a pic of the gear selector :) This was only ~50 years ahead of its time :)

Walking around the car, I noticed something in the trunk, then turned to my daughter, and asked her where to put the gas in. After she studied it for a while, I showed her where it was hidden :)

Doug

Attachments

·
Registered
557 Posts
Great pictures.

I have the same exact car in your first picture, the '66 Chevelle 300 Deluxe 2-Dr Sedan, although mine is just a rough parts car. It's even the same color. Paint looks great, but it is not a factory shine on it. Looks like it was a pretty good show there.

·
Super Moderator
18,473 Posts
I took my middle daughter to a car show in Coppell, Texas today. That's next door to Irving, well known as home of the Cowboys until recently.

Upon arriving, I saw this Chevelle, and was really taken by it. I think it's a 1966. At first glance, it looked rather austere, and it almost looked like some sort of odd-duck b-body. But it clearly said CHEVELLE across the tail board, so I knew then for sure what it was.

The badge on the rear quarter, Deluxe 300, caught me off guard. Wiki says that's a trim level, along with 300 (non-deluxe) and Malibu.

The paint has a decidedly satin or semi-gloss look to it. Not sure if that's indicative of today's popular un-shiny trend, or if it's demonstrating what finishes actually looked like back in the day, which were often rather dull looking metallic finishes.

Anyway, here's to the Chevelle ! Every time I see one of these, I want it :)

Doug

That is totally a 66 Chevelle, my favorite year..... Deluxe 300, the base model of the Chevelle's. But, judging by the size of the tailpipe, the engine aint no straight six!!!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
18,473 Posts
I think this is a 1966 Impala - I believe that's the year the guy told me.

It has a 327, 375HP.

That's my daughter posing in the car :)

Doug

I think that's a 65...I don't think the 66 had a pointed fender near the headlight....the 66 had a flat front nose....beautiful car though!!! :eek:k3:

·
Super Moderator
18,473 Posts
If you have tail light or front end pics of the Camaro or Impala, I can def tell you the years....The Camaro does look like 67....Thanks for the pics! Love ALL those cars! :D:beer:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts