Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so my car shakes when im braking from high speeds. I would expect it too just because the brakes arent that great anyway but i feel like it is doing it too much. If you guys could tell by this sound possibly from the video let me know what you think. I had the front bearings replaced a month ago. Im thinking possibly warped rotors... i think its coming from the front passenger tire.

Untitled on Vimeo
you should be able to hear it if your plugged into a stereo at medium volume or so...

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
How many miles on the current rotors? Do you feel the wheel shaking or the seat, or both?

9 out of 10 itll be warped rotors.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Specific Conditions Can Affect the Vehicle in terms of Vibration
  • Flat Spots on tires - Tires which have sat and been cool for a time can develop flat spots.
  • Irregular wear on tire treads - Tires which have sat and been cool for a time will be stiffer and any irregular wear conditions will be more noticeable than they will be once the tires have warmed and softened.
  • Exhaust system growth - Exhaust systems may exhibit a ground-out condition when cool which goes away once the system hot. The opposite may be true that the exhaust system is fine when cool but a ground-out condition occurs once the system reaches operating temperatures. Exhaust systems can grow by 21/2-5 cm (1-2 in) when hot.
  • Engine driven accessory noises - These include drive belts, loose mounting brackets, pulleys, fluid levels, and fluid types. Concerns may occur only when the vehicle is hot or cold
  • Vehicle payload - The concern may only occur when the customer has a heavy payload or is towing a trailer.
  • Roadway selection - The selection of roadways used to perform the vibration duplication procedures is likely to be in the near vicinity of the dealership and may not provide a road surface that is close enough to the surface on which the customer usually drives the vehicle. The customer may only experience the vibration on a particular roadway. Perhaps the roadway is overly crowned or is very bumpy or rough.

These are some places to start regarding the vibration. I would recommend contacting the dealership for more assistance as well as more warranty information. I can also look into this further with the VIN of the vehicle. You can contact me either here on the thread or via private message. Please feel free to keep me informed with any further developments regarding the fix. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Gotta agree with Alfredo, warped rotors are just a part of life with these cars.

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
Trisha: It happens when he is BRAKING. Again, BRAKING. If he had a vibration when simply traveling, the above might be the culprits. Agree with all other posts, rotors.

As to the exhaust growth, my exhaust has grown to about twice the size it was originally and it shows no signs of slowing down. The car will not even fit in the garage with the door closed anymore. I can sometimes even hear it growing. Is that normal? Can I shave it down maybe?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ya it shakes bad i think its warped rotors as well. Have you guys just replaced it with the stock pads and rotors from the dealership or does anyone have a custom set up they would recommend?

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
do NOT get stock rotors... otherwise you will be replacing them again in 20K miles... not to mention that they are ridiculously priced.

Its really a matter of what you are looking for. Go on rockauto and check out what they offer. Should be able to get a rotor for about $30/per rotor that will last a good amount of time. Other factors to consider would be do you want the non-friction surfaces painted? Raybestos has a great rotor that is painted just like the factory AC Delcos, but is less than half the price.

Best bet is to pick out a rotor and post it up and get opinions. I dont recommend going drilled/slotted unless you want it for looks reasons. Performance wise, they wont do much for you.

Ive used performance friction rotors and pads and loved em, but again, $$$$.

Ive used the raybestos ones as well, not as good as PF but better than stock. Ive also used (dont shoot me) the PREMIUM advanced auto pads, with lifetime warranty. No issue with those either.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I get that too.. i was thinking it was my breaks since i do have 28,000 mi on the car n never changed the breaks.. p.s what kinda exhaust you have on your car and tips..

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
Rotors. Happens when you get the brakes real hot.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
At 28k miles your pads are probably still in great shape, but GM thought they'd save a few bucks by having china make the rotors, so they are WAY too soft and warp damn near every time you step on the brake pedal. In my experience with these cars, if the part is made out of metal, replace it with aftermarket whenever possible. I would never buy a newer GM vehicle...

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
Which probablly happens a lot based on that youtube vid
LOL. True. Also be careful with this scenario: car and rims/rotors are really hot (hot day), you go through a carwash (cool water), when you exit the wash, be VERY VERY gentle on your brakes for several miles and at least 5 minutes. This is a classic recipe for warping rotors.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LOL. True. Also be careful with this scenario: car and rims/rotors are really hot (hot day), you go through a carwash (cool water), when you exit the wash, be VERY VERY gentle on your brakes for several miles and at least 5 minutes. This is a classic recipe for warping rotors.
good point that could have done it...
Im just gonna get it checked out then probably just order some front rotors because I think the rears are fine

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
The rears aren't as much of a problem as the fronts, but they still warp. See if just the fronts fixes it, if not then you can always do the rears later.

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
Keep us posted, I am really interested in what rotors you get.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I feel it in the steering wheel mostly but it really feels like its the front passenger rotor because also because i can hear it more on that side as well. Sounds similar to a flat tire lol

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
If its in the steering wheel its definitely rotors, x2 on TSS, keep us posted.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts