Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Impala LS. I recently bought and installed an aftermarket stereo head unit. The factory amp wouldn't turn on. Somebody in one of these forums suggested splicing the white wire in the factory radio harness to the accesory wire for the aftermarket radio. Well, I did that, and when I tried to start the car, the whole car lost power. I disconnected the battery, undid the wire splice, and reconnected the battery. Power came back, then when I tried to start the car it did it again. So I disconnected the battery for a whole day. When I hooked it back up, no power. I even tried connecting a jump starter, and I'm still getting no power. Anybody know what went wrong, and how to fix it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would start by double checking all fuses and relays in both fuse boxes. In my experience the factory amp turn on wire is pink not white. You could try modified life or the 12 volt.com for wiring diagrams. You could also do an amp bypass which is what I would do because the aftermarket radio probably has more power than the oem amplifier does anyways. Will also make easier if adding amps and subs long term. If memory serves the oem amp is located underside of rear deck between the 6X9 in the rear. Should be 2 harnesses one is input and power and ground and other is output to speakers. Hopefully the BCM is ok and it’s just a fuse or relay.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would start by double checking all fuses and relays in both fuse boxes. In my experience the factory amp turn on wire is pink not white. You could try modified life or the 12 volt.com for wiring diagrams. You could also do an amp bypass which is what I would do because the aftermarket radio probably has more power than the oem amplifier does anyways. Will also make easier if adding amps and subs long term. If memory serves the oem amp is located underside of rear deck between the 6X9 in the rear. Should be 2 harnesses one is input and power and ground and other is output to speakers. Hopefully the BCM is ok and it’s just a fuse or relay.
Thanks for the input! I'm just trying to get the car running again. Once I do that, I'm probably gonna bypass the amp anyway, because it's been giving me wiring issues all week. I already have an aftermarket amp and sub ready to install, so my biggest hold up is that factory amp.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome bro. Hope it helps. If you have owners manual check the fuse and relay listing in manual. I would say that it is a fuse or relay. Everything has a fuse for protection. Commando car alarm is another site you can try for wiring diagrams. Or if you know anyone that works at a dealership they might be able to get you info from mitchel manuals or whatever they use. Again good luck bro.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts