Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was excited to see my new issue of car and driver today in the mail.on the cover was the new vette. great article. but then i turned to page 68 and read a story called "the detroit three after the big whoa". it was about how poor the cars of gm were before bankruptcy. they had the nerve to say that the eighth generation impala was one of the worst cars they made! what the hell are they talking about?chevy sold like hundreds of thousand of them and its the best car ive ever owned.they are too busy testing toyota penis hybrids to know what a good car is.they said that the impala was a brand perversion that was as dissappointing as it was inevitable. what the hell?

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
im sorry but the impala ss was one of the worst cars made.

and they didnt sell a bunch of them they barely sold which is why they stopped selling them in 09 after only 3 years.

The ss had a joke of a ls motor, only 303hp.
now think of what all the other car makers have in there top of the line performance cars. cobra, srt8, tt v6, you get the idea

4-speed auto. Yeah its a 4speed not to mention how weak the trans is.

front wheel drive, nuff said

cheap ass car. You see all the problems we all have with these cars they are cheap peices of crap

They tried to take a cheap fleet/rental queen and make a performance car as cheap as they could, where they could profit the most and it fell flat on its face.

·
Super Moderator
22,815 Posts
When compared with the equal Taurus SHO...well there is no comparison. lol

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Ejb hit the nail on the head. The car was meant as a fleet vehicle and nothing more. You can throw options at a piece of shit and its still a piece of shit.

That said, I have a 7th gen and its the bees knees ;)

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I agree with car and driver 100% on this one, the 7th gen was a far better car in every way, GM systematically went through the vehicle, and ruined every last part of it. They deserve all the bad press they get for making these POS's, I tell everyone everywhere when they ask me about these cars that they are complete and utter crap. Even the 7th gen was a bastardization of the impala, considering what it was prior to that, but the 8th gen was nothing short of an insult. Still not pleased with the new one, frankly they should have just dropped the name completely till they could get their shit together enough to build a real car again.

Reactions: Papa D

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
I agree with car and driver 100% on this one, the 7th gen was a far better car in every way, GM systematically went through the vehicle, and ruined every last part of it. They deserve all the bad press they get for making these POS's, I tell everyone everywhere when they ask me about these cars that they are complete and utter crap. Even the 7th gen was a bastardization of the impala, considering what it was prior to that, but the 8th gen was nothing short of an insult. Still not pleased with the new one, frankly they should have just dropped the name completely till they could get their shit together enough to build a real car again.
Agreed! If you don't agree with this then you don't know GM. GM is so screwed! No quality control, bad parts, no recall's, etc.. The list goes on and on.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I agree with you guy's. Although I have a '96, I would still feel that that was the last year of a real Impala, even if it is a Caprice with a few extra's. I've rented a couple of the FWD Impala's....not impressed at all. GM's performance car's are the Vette & Camaro.

Sorry Lug's.

·
Super Moderator
3,941 Posts
My wife's 03 Impala has been good to own but let's be real it should have been called a Lumina. I don't like the car for myself, but she likes it and it has needed very little repair in the 195k-ish miles she has put on it

·
Banned
667 Posts
im sorry but the impala ss was one of the worst cars made.

and they didnt sell a bunch of them they barely sold which is why they stopped selling them in 09 after only 3 years.

The ss had a joke of a ls motor, only 303hp.
now think of what all the other car makers have in there top of the line performance cars. cobra, srt8, tt v6, you get the idea

4-speed auto. Yeah its a 4speed not to mention how weak the trans is.

front wheel drive, nuff said

cheap ass car. You see all the problems we all have with these cars they are cheap peices of crap

They tried to take a cheap fleet/rental queen and make a performance car as cheap as they could, where they could profit the most and it fell flat on its face.
Yes but in 50-60 years that impala SS will be rare and worth a lot of money. while yours, if you still have it will be worth scrap metal value.

·
Banned
154 Posts
They should let Holden design a new Impala. IMO they've done alright with the Monaro (GTO), Commodore (G8) and the new Camaros (I personally think they are ugly as hell but w/e).

I also love the way the 7th gen body looks. Just wish it was rwd/v8.

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
Yes but in 50-60 years that impala SS will be rare and worth a lot of money. while yours, if you still have it will be worth scrap metal value.
You see i was gonna laugh and make fun of your lack of knowledge about cars especially collector cars but you honestly are clueless so i might as well be productive and try and teach you a little something.

Just because a car is old or a limited production model does not make it worth any money down the road. There are plenty of cars out there to prove this but ill pick a relatively new one since your knowledge is relatively new.
Ford contour svt. Its about 15 years old now. Fast little car and very limited but not worth shit and never will be.

Same goes for the impala for all the reasons i stated above in the post you quoted.
Plus 50years from now when there are no parts for it and they are breaking left and right like they do now then what? Collect a car you cant fix? Lets be realistic.

And obviously a fleet model car like mine wont be worth anything so at least you have a tiny bit of common sense.
And i wont have my car in another couple months.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
And i wont have my car in another couple months.
What you getting? Good idea though! You got too lucky last time with the covered repairs. You likely won't be as lucky next time.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
The idea of anyone thinking one of these heaps will ever INCREASE in value is hilarious, 50-60 years? Seriously? There will not be even ONE of these things that hasn't completely dissolved by then, and nobody will care or miss them... Better go out an get yourself an SS HHR now before they go up in value too!

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
HHR SS, thanks, I forgot about those and I needed a laugh.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts