Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
94-96 Impala SS: Standard items that I know of, LT1 engine, tinted windows, Special Aluminum Wheels, SS badging.

94-96 Caprice: No SS model, L99 (4.6L) engine standard, LT1 engine on 9C1 (cops) all other models with the LT1 was optional, no special wheels, tint was optional.

94-96 Caprice Impala SS Clone: Looks like the Impala SS, will have the LT1 engine, but the Information Decal in the trunk won't have certain info to be a true Impala SS. Car will look good if done right but the value will not be the same.

·
Registered
303 Posts
94-96 Impala SS: Standard itmes that I know of, LT1 engine, tinted windows, Special Aluminum Wheels, SS badging.

94-96 Caprice: No SS model, L99 (4.6L) engine standard, LT1 engine on 9C1 (cops) all other models with the LT1 was optional, no special wheels, tint was optional.

94-96 Caprice Impala SS Clone: Looks like the Impala SS, will have the LT1 engine, but the Information Decal in the trunk won't have certain info to be a true Impala SS. Car will look good if done right but the value will not be the same.

The RPO for the Impala SS on the SPID label is WX3. A clone will not have this. The car title may say Impala or Caprice.

Some other items/corrections...

Disc brakes: Both the SS and most [all?] 9C1 [police option] will have 4 wheel disc brakes. The SS has nicer looking calipers, but the 9C1 calipers are slightly wider to hold thicker pads. No other Caprice models have disc brakes.

The LT1 is not a required part of the 9C1 package. [There are L99 police cars... even better is that they often have 3.23 rear gears and disc brakes.]

Which brings up the next point... rear gear ratios
Impala SS is 3.08... always... unless someone changed theirs.
9C1 are 3.08 for LT1s and 3.23 for L99 [I don't think that police cars came with other gears, but it may be possible... GM wasn't going to offer L99 and 3.23 until Canada wanted a bunch of them... or so the rumor goes.]
Other Caprices range for 2.56 to 2.93.

Bucket seats were available on the SS and the 9C1, but only the SS had gray leather. [I've never seen factory bucket seats on a regular Caprice.... excluding the earlier LTZ... anyone else seen one?] Regular Caprices didn't come with gray leather and the SS only came with gray leather. [9C1 had a few color choices.. blue, tan... other?]

The '96 SS is the only late model B-body with a floor shifter.

The SS is the only late model B-body with anything other than 15" wheels.

The speed limiter is set to 140 mph for the SS, up to 13xmph for the 9C1 (depending on engine/wheel/suspension choices, and 108 for a regular Caprice. [These are easiliy altered with a custom tune.]

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
The RPO for the Impala SS on the SPID label is WX3. A clone will not have this.

The LT1 is not a required part of the 9C1 package. [There are L99 police cars... even better is that they often have 3.23 rear gears and disc brakes.]
I knew there was a code for the true Impala SS.

I was not aware of any 94-96 9C1's having the L99 engine, thanks for the information.

Kenny

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
94-96 Impala SS: Standard items that I know of, LT1 engine, tinted windows, Special Aluminum Wheels, SS badging.

The RPO for the Impala SS on the SPID label is WX3. A clone will not have this. The car title may say Impala or Caprice.

Some other items/corrections...

Disc brakes: Both the SS and most [all?] 9C1 [police option] will have 4 wheel disc brakes. The SS has nicer looking calipers, but the 9C1 calipers are slightly wider to hold thicker pads. No other Caprice models have disc brakes.

Which brings up the next point... rear gear ratios
Impala SS is 3.08... always... unless someone changed theirs.
9C1 are 3.08 for LT1s and 3.23 for L99 [I don't think that police cars came with other gears, but it may be possible... GM wasn't going to offer L99 and 3.23 until Canada wanted a bunch of them... or so the rumor goes.]
Other Caprices range for 2.56 to 2.93.

Bucket seats were available on the SS and the 9C1, but only the SS had gray leather. [I've never seen factory bucket seats on a regular Caprice.... excluding the earlier LTZ... anyone else seen one?] Regular Caprices didn't come with gray leather and the SS only came with gray leather. [9C1 had a few color choices.. blue, tan... other?]

The '96 SS is the only late model B-body with a floor shifter.

The SS is the only late model B-body with anything other than 15" wheels.

The speed limiter is set to 140 mph for the SS, up to 13xmph for the 9C1 (depending on engine/wheel/suspension choices, and 108 for a regular Caprice. [These are easiliy altered with a custom tune.]

Ok tinted windows.....other than the windshield on the impala having a solar refelctive surface, there was no ""tint" from the factory, assuming your talking about the tint film aftermarket guys use and not tinted glass.

The L99 is a 4.3 200 hp not a 4.6 crown victoria.

The limiter on 9C1 police package had different setting based on many diff tire ratings/options.

Either way they are basically the same car with minor differences here and there. The main one comes from the value....if it had the WX3 code from the factory, its worth more.......to the insurance companies.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Angel I did mean the glass tint, were not the SS models glass tinted from the factory?

I misprinted the engine, I did mean the 4.3L - I did not know that it was 200HP.

Thanks for the info.

Kenny

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
uless youre talking about the solar ray treatment or wtf ever it is called, they werent tinted like this

also avail in only 3 colors
DCM, DGGM, and BLACK, IIRC only in black in 94

·
Registered
12 Posts

mine was ordered with grey leather split bench and carpet. i've never seen a 9c1 with leather buckets or a civi caprice with buckets either

·
Registered
624 Posts
also too the lt1's came with dual exhust . 4.3 didnt had single exhuast , ss had limit slip rears (g80) 9c1 and civvies had a mix .some people will try to pass the 4.3 off as a lt1 cause they look the same,need to check the 8th digit forgot the letter for lt1, but again if its all stock then check tail pipes,oh yeah the 94 had that plastic thingie in the 1/4 window making it looked rounded in the corner,95/96 had body changed with that built in

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
:biggrin:
also too the lt1's came with dual exhust . 4.3 didnt had single exhuast , ss had limit slip rears (g80) 9c1 and civvies had a mix .some people will try to pass the 4.3 off as a lt1 cause they look the same,need to check the 8th digit forgot the letter for lt1, but again if its all stock then check tail pipes,oh yeah the 94 had that plastic thingie in the 1/4 window making it looked rounded in the corner,95/96 had body changed with that built in
um i had a 1991 caprice classic and did alot of research since then and i have never seen 91 thru 94 caprice w split seats my 91 was a full bench seat or whatever in standard light blue i now have a 95 9c1 true lt1 w the quoted stock dual exhaust ( need to get rid of doesnt let the engine breath ) not sure of gear ratios though thanx :biggrin:

also my 1991 STOCK CAPRICE CLASSIC HAD A 5.7 LITER IN IT W 220000 + MILES AND RAN LIKE A CHAMP BUT I THINK THOSE HAD 700R4'S?????

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
:biggrin:

um i had a 1991 caprice classic and did alot of research since then and i have never seen 91 thru 94 caprice w split seats my 91 was a full bench seat or whatever in standard light blue i now have a 95 9c1 true lt1 w the quoted stock dual exhaust ( need to get rid of doesnt let the engine breath ) not sure of gear ratios though thanx :biggrin:

also my 1991 STOCK CAPRICE CLASSIC HAD A 5.7 LITER IN IT W 220000 + MILES AND RAN LIKE A CHAMP BUT I THINK THOSE HAD 700R4'S?????

5.7 but not the same as the LT-1......big diff in horsepower and other areas. Look around some more and you will see "split seats." Nothing wrong with the factory dual exhaust, not sure why you feel they dont let the car breathe.

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
yep some of us are stuck on the dark side of TBI :(

There is no dark side......first you have a CHEVY..a real one not a wrong wheel drive. Secondly, you can mod that mother like there is no tomorrow and throw on a wicked ass carb and get great power out of it cheaper than we can with FI. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2 Posts
you can also tell a 9C1 by the green hoses under the hood, caprices do come with gray leather, its an option but whoever posted above made it seem like it wasnt even an option. With a caprice, you can also get alot of heavy duty coolers(oil, trans, etc) but im not 100% sure if impala's came with that(someone correct me if i'm wrong but i thought i remembered members of another forum putting them on their impalas).. i have a DCM 94 caprice, LT1, G80, lots of heavy duty options, had almost every from factory except leather and CD... great car, not a lot of problems, runs great.. Also wasnt a 9C1 so it wasnt pulling triple shifts and having the shit kicked out of it constantly

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
triple shifts????? u mean your car was gettin beat at the track / road ????

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
5.7 but not the same as the LT-1......big diff in horsepower and other areas. Look around some more and you will see "split seats." Nothing wrong with the factory dual exhaust, not sure why you feel they dont let the car breathe.
come on my car has like 220000 on it theres no way the stock exhaust is helping me any seen alot of posts on what i want to do about the exhaust

o and another thing i live in an EMISSIONS FREE SECTION OF COLORADO anyone got any suggestions on the exhaust lol there alot of options when i dont have to report to the state for testing !!!!!!!!!! :wink::biggrin::eek::cool:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts