Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day

Could anyone please help me identify the year of this Caprice Classic Wagon?

Thanks,
Daniel

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Could anyone please help me identify the year of this Caprice Classic Wagon?
You can usually see a two digit year in the markings on the tail lights, but I think that could be off a year or so if the light has ever been replaced.

But the VIN behind the windshield has a date code in it which should accurately reflect the model year. The 10th character is the year code. Use the table below to translate that into the model year.

If you get hung up, you can post the VIN here and someone here can decode it for you.

Online VIN decoder here .

Doug

gm_vin_year_table.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Doug,

I hope you are having a great day!

Looks like it's a 1985. The VIN tag was rusted, but I managed to scrub it enough to get the digits to show up. I was looking in the door and the sticker was worn out - I forgot about the VIN tag on the dash.

Would you be able to recommend an online store where I can purchase a good shop manual for this vehicle? It was abandoned and I need to re-key it to be able to get it off of the property it's on. If I can get it going, it's mine.

Thanks,
Daniel

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Would you be able to recommend an online store where I can purchase a good shop manual for this vehicle? It was abandoned and I need to re-key it to be able to get it off of the property it's on. If I can get it going, it's mine.
Hi, Daniel,

Glad you were able to identify the year.

I would start with a Haynes or Chiltons manual. They're inexpensive, and easy to carry around in the garage.

After that, you can Google for a factory shop manual set. New, these can be expensive, but for a 30+ year old car, you can probably find them fairly cheap, on the order of 25 bucks or so. I think that's what I paid for factory manuals for my 1999 Lumina when I bought it in ~2010.

Also look for an electronic manual. I have two for GM. These are factory shop manuals, one for 2000-2005, and another for 2006-2009. I think I gave around 20$ for each on eBay (or maybe Amazon). The nice thing is that they're easily searchable, and, for the garage, I just print a few things out and carry them out to the car. (When I'm done, I stuff the printed pages into the Haynes.)

I'll look for an ignition switch drawing for the 85 Caprice and post back later what I find. The only thing I'm concerned about is the old theft deterrent system they had back in the day which used a resistor mounted in the key. The computer looked for a certain value of resistance before it allowed the motor to crank. That might be tricky to pinpoint - some trial and error might be necessary. That said, the 1985 Caprice may pre-date this, so it may not be anything to worry about.

HTH.

Doug

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I'll look for an ignition switch drawing for the 85 Caprice and post back later what I find.
Attached are the 3 electrical drawings I found for the entire car ! The ignition switch is on the second page. As best I can tell, there is no anti-theft resistor circuit on the ignition, so hopefully nothing to worry about.

HTH.
Doug

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts