Impala Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just found and joined this forum. I have a 1973 Caprice Classic convertible with the 454 and air conditioning. I was curious if anyone knew a resource to check to see how many of these were built.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Hello,

I just found and joined this forum. I have a 1973 Caprice Classic convertible with the 454 and air conditioning. I was curious if anyone knew a resource to check to see how many of these were built.
I googled "1973 caprice production numbers" and found this right away: phscollectorcarworld: Chevrolet Caprice Convertibles 1973-1975

It indicates there were 7,339 ragtop units made in 1973. "The engines ranged from the small block 400 two barrel to the massive 454 big block." While that does not provide an exact number, I would infer that quite a few 454's were made given that there was basically only one other engine option.

If you keep poking around on google, you might get a number.

Hopefully someone else here can chime in and give you a better lead on where to get the 454 production breakdown.

HTH.

Doug

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I googled "1973 caprice production numbers" and found this right away: phscollectorcarworld: Chevrolet Caprice Convertibles 1973-1975

It indicates there were 7,339 ragtop units made in 1973. "The engines ranged from the small block 400 two barrel to the massive 454 big block." While that does not provide an exact number, I would infer that quite a few 454's were made given that there was basically only one other engine option.

If you keep poking around on google, you might get a number.

Hopefully someone else here can chime in and give you a better lead on where to get the 454 production breakdown.

HTH.

Doug

Hello plano-doug,

Thank you for replying, I had found similar numbers totaling production for convertibles, but in 25 years of owning the car I could never seem to find a break down of the production of convertibles ordered with the 454 and or air conditioning. Those were the more expensive options back then. The 454 option was $150 and air conditioning was $482. I can't see too many people back in the oil crises years ticking the option box for a big block or air conditioning in a convertible or ticking both and ending up with a massive Chevrolet that gets 8 MPG like mine.

In the world of old Fords, there is a Marti report that works on most '67 and later years where it will tell you the exact breakdown of your VIN Ford and tell you exactly how many of your cars with the same options were made, even how many of the colour were made. I was wondering if anyone knew of a similar service for GM's.

Cheers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts