Impala Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,948 Posts
Any way to get a test light or meter on the lines running to the TBI ?
Maybe it took a crap.
If there is no power going to it then maybe the problem lay within the ecm.
Need someone with a bi-directional scan tool to see what's being told do do what when.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Any way to get a test light or meter on the lines running to the TBI ?
Maybe it took a crap.
If there is no power going to it then maybe the problem lay within the ecm.
Need someone with a bi-directional scan tool to see what's being told do do what when.

I didn't test the lines going to the TBi but i tested the TPS wire at ON ignition switch and their is no voltage. So i think the ECM is not getting voltage and by so its not giving any signal to the other components.

The ECM is not getting any voltage. I think this is the problem. How can i get voltage going to the ECM??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,948 Posts
Check the ECM fuse ? and I think there may even be a memory fuse for it as well.
I cannot recall if there is more than one fuse block in that car. I thought there may have been one in the side of the dashboard or in the passenger foot well, but I could be wrong, it's happened before.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Check the ECM fuse ? and I think there may even be a memory fuse for it as well.
I cannot recall if there is more than one fuse block in that car. I thought there may have been one in the side of the dashboard or in the passenger foot well, but I could be wrong, it's happened before.

Their is only one fuse block in the car.

The ECM fuse is ok not blown but its not getting power. I used a test light to test it and replaced it with another fuse and tested it still no power at it.

The thing i wanna know is how to get power or voltage to the ecm.

Thanks alot for your help.

·
Super Moderator
10,948 Posts
Without a wiring diagram I don't know.
I don't think it's 12 V though. I think it's only 5V but not entirely certain. If you can access a wiring diagram from Chilton or from a FSM I don't know. Sorry.
I would be careful attaching 12V to some things that may back feed directly to the ECM.

·
Super Moderator
10,948 Posts
Just thought of something.
That VSS that Bill58 spoke of.
The vehicle may need that to operate. If it's dead the vehicle may not start. The ECM may need to see that sensor connected. I wonder if there is a resistance check that can be done on that sensor to see if it's dead.
I'm grasping here.

·
Registered
236 Posts
If it runs on starting fluid the ecm is getting power. Did you unplug the vss at the transmission and leave it unplugged while you try to start?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
If it runs on starting fluid the ecm is getting power. Did you unplug the vss at the transmission and leave it unplugged while you try to start?

Yea i unplugged it and tried still no chance getting it started.

Im stuck

·
Super Moderator
10,948 Posts
Just read through this again and am thinking that because the car runs on starting fluid you have a fuel problem. Does this car have a MAP sensor or a MAF sensor ?. ( age of it I would think MAP only )

Have a check of those things. Probably because of the year only a MAP. Should be mounted on the firewall or at the rear of the engine someplace. Will have a vacuum line running into it and have couple wires plugged into it. You can try the "unplug" test and see if it will run. That being said, that does not always work as some cars need to see the reference voltage to run. Here is a video on how to check that item to see if it's working correctly. I think you can rent a tool at Autozone or some such place to do this test. It's pretty easy.

That's all I got for now.
Will have to ponder this some more.
I cant recall if you put at fuel pressure gauge on it or not. Some had a very specific fuel pressure range that they needed in order to operate the injector(s). I think it's around 40 psi but someone will know for sure.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts