Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
95 Impala SS

My car drives fine sometimes but then somedays it feels like it wants to shutuoff..When trying to start the cars blows out black smoke thorugh the exhaust

What i Have Changed:

spark plugs and wires
throttle sensor

I had the fuel pressure was told it was fine
Do i need new catalytic converters and 02 sensors?

WHAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM????

·
Registered
56 Posts
it could be sediment collected up in ur gasa tank and its clogging the opening and the black smoke that u see is the sedimen burning off. have u recently ranout gas or came close to it?

it has happend to me befor in my imp

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I Bought It From The Guy The Gas Tank Was On "e".light Was On..

What Should I Do To Clear It Out

·
Registered
56 Posts
well wat i did was refilled cause i was on empt and litarly running on fumes. then got back on the road and thats when i saw the black smoke. wat i did was pulled into a parking lot but it in park and then just reved the engine let it sit and repeat. idk if that was the correct way but it got the job done

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea It Seems Like When I Rev It Runs Better.... And If That Doesnt Work Is Anything Else I Shud Look For

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
Dont sit there and rev, just drive your car on a highway AFTER filling with good gas and maybe a bottle of injector cleaner. It might not be something simple like this but its cheap and easy so try it then go for a ride on the highway for about 10-15 miles at highway speeds, might work itself out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
IGHT THANX GUYS IMA GO TRY THAT IN A LIL BIT any specific brand

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
LUCAS make a very good fuel treatment,but any will work. If you are going to fill the tank all the way, you can add 2 bottle of lucas fuel treatment so its a little more concentrated since the tank holds 23 gallons.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey can someone help me?!? My car just didn't want to start anymore,, the day before it was fine,, I already changed the starter,,my buddy brought down the tank and said the gas pump is working , as is the fuel filter,,we checked relays and everything seems good,,I'm lost and don't know where to look next

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hey can someone help me?!? My car just didn't want to start anymore,, the day before it was fine,, I already changed the starter,,my buddy brought down the tank and said the gas pump is working , as is the fuel filter,,we checked relays and everything seems good,,I'm lost and don't know where to look next
does it make any sounds? and it all of a suden just stopped? id it do anything before the last time it was started

·
Registered
21 Posts
yeah it actually sounds like it wants to start, but it just doesnt turn over, kind of as if it is'nt getting any gas. No it didnt stop on me, it just would'nt turn on the next morning.:confused:

·
Registered
37 Posts
yeah it actually sounds like it wants to start, but it just doesnt turn over, kind of as if it is'nt getting any gas. No it didnt stop on me, it just would'nt turn on the next morning.:confused:
sounds like your not getting any spark, it could be a number of things

maybe your opti finally died
or your coil crapped out
or maybe you battery is low or you have a bad connection

and for future reference you dont have to drop the tank to see if the pump is working, you can hear it prime when you turn the key to on, or you can check the fuel pressure.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Major Problem

HEY Thanx 73impala and George Bates Automotive that really worked yesterday car runs smooth.

NOW I HAVE A BIGGER PROBLEM . I THINK I HAVE HEAD GASKET LEAK (BECAUSE WHEN IDLING CAR OVERHEATS) AND I WAS WONDERING HOW MUCH I SHOULD BE LOOKIN TO PAY FOR THAT FIX OR SHOULD I GET RID OF THE CAR?

·
Registered
21 Posts
THANX FOR THE INFO,, WELL THE WHOLE REASON WE BROUGHT THE TANK DOWN WAS BECAUSE WE COULDNT HEAR ANYTHING BACK THERE SO WE FIGURED IT WAS THE PUMP,,,,THEN WITH THE PUMP OUT, WE SAW IT DID WORK!!! I THINK THERES A BAD CONNECTION OR SHORT LEADING TO THE PUMP,:confused:

·
Registered
113 Posts
If you had a head gasket leak your exhaust would most likely be be white in color as your rad fluid burns. It would also smell sort of like cat piss, in other words bad. If the small tubes that crisscross your rad get plugged, your car will overheat at idle, or even at low speeds. If it's not a head gasket issue you could look into getting your rad flushed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
THANX FOR THE INFO,, WELL THE WHOLE REASON WE BROUGHT THE TANK DOWN WAS BECAUSE WE COULDNT HEAR ANYTHING BACK THERE SO WE FIGURED IT WAS THE PUMP,,,,THEN WITH THE PUMP OUT, WE SAW IT DID WORK!!! I THINK THERES A BAD CONNECTION OR SHORT LEADING TO THE PUMP,:confused:

that is not uncommon in these cars, its best to just replace the whole thing, maybe with an aftermarket one if you plan on doing some motor work in the future.

·
Registered
37 Posts
HEY Thanx 73impala and George Bates Automotive that really worked yesterday car runs smooth.

NOW I HAVE A BIGGER PROBLEM . I THINK I HAVE HEAD GASKET LEAK (BECAUSE WHEN IDLING CAR OVERHEATS) AND I WAS WONDERING HOW MUCH I SHOULD BE LOOKIN TO PAY FOR THAT FIX OR SHOULD I GET RID OF THE CAR?
add some more coolant & water, and make sure to bleed the system while its idling, try to do it on a slope if you can with the front wheels higher than the rear.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Am i suppose to hear my fuel pump when starting my car?and am i suppose to hear it the entire time i am driving?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
If things are quite, then you should hear a faint hum from th pump when you first turn the key to the on position, it will only run for 2-3 seconds.

Are you sure your fans are working correctly?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts