Impala Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a question.
My ' Traction Control ' light is on, it lit orange and there is a switch in the glove box but when press it nothing happens.

Why would the Traction Control Light be on?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I own a shop, and the best thing you can do is; take it in to a shop that can pull the codes to see whats up with it. From experience; I have seen a vehicle do this right after it had the chassis lubricated. A ball of old grease had fallen, and got lodged between the pick up and the wheel sensor. Front disc brakes can sometimes (if not cleaned) build up a lot of brake (metal) dust off the pads. The sensor is a magnet, the brake pads have high concentration of metal in them, and this stuff will build up to the point of the sensor not reading anything except seeing metal all the time. When it does this, the computer thinks the wheel is either not turning, spinning, or the sensor is bad, but in fact its neither. Traction control works by sensing a wheel that is turning faster than the others (spinning) and makes adjustments by applying more traction to the wheels that are not as fast. The light indicates the computer is not receiving the proper signal. Either the sensors are blocked, unplugged, broken, or bent away from the reluctor, thus giving a false or no signal. Another thing to look at will be your fuses, and any vacuum hoses that may be split where they plug on, came off, collapsing, or just leaking badly. The light doesn't mean the system has failed, it just means it isn't operating at standards that are programmed into the computer.
Glad to help out, Good luck!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts