Impala Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have gotten so many different answers its not funny.
I have been told that because of its weight , it pretty much couldnt beat anyone in a race. I plan on bringing the engine up to around 500hp. its asedan so it weighs about 3650lbs the engine is a 327, i know someone who works on car that has a camaro witha smaller engine and it weighs 3,300, i know that 300 lbs is alot, but can it really make that big a difference. Pretty much what I am asking is, if i built my 327, new everything (750 or 850 holly carb, upgraded everything) which is what i plan to do, would i stand a chance against modern day car in a race, whether it be a 1/4 mile or not. Cars like say a 2.5 subaru rs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Look at the power to weight ratio, that helps compare how well a car would accelerate. Take the weight, and divide it by the HP, the lower the number, the quicker it will be.
What you're planning to have would give you a ratio of about 7.3:1. That would be pretty damn quick.

·
Registered
18 Posts
That big of a car you are going to need lots of cubic inches to get it to come out of the hole. The 327 is a high reving small block and can be built to be pretty quick in a lighter car. A big block would be your best bet but can be rather expensive to build. I would suggest a large displacement small block (400 cubic inches or bigger) and shoot a big shot of nitrous to it. Then you could start to have some real fun.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That would have to be one hell of a 327 to make that thing run any kind of lower et's around 12's or so. and a 850 holley on a 327 your going to need some serious mods done thats alot of carb for little CID. Big block, Heads, Cam, Converter go eat you some subies all day.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Do not think you are going to build a 500hp 327....could it be done, yes, should it be done...no. It would not be streetable by any means, hell, 500hp out of a stroked 350...I.E. 383 is no small feat. Torque is what gets these cars moving, cubic inches is where you find it. Save some money & alot of headaches, buy a crate 383, get a good converter, some 3.73 gears, and maybe even dump the 400 for a good built 700R4. That extra low first gear will get you out of the hole a little faster and the OD will save you a few miles per gallon. Think of the 'whole ' package, not just raw power.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Getting 500hp in a small block is easy now. Especially with new technology. And it doesn't even cost that much. I don't know about a 327 though, but out of a 350 you'd have a better shot. But with the right gears and suspension you'd be able to keep up on the track, as long as you get that power too the wheels, you'll be fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts