Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been trying to decide on a new radio for weeks...... HELP!!!!!! :bang:

Can I see what you have?? Which would you choose between these two??

AVH-X3500BHS - <b>NEW!</b> - 2-DIN Multimedia DVD Receiver with 6.1" WVGA Touchscreen Display, MIXTRAX, Bluetooth®, HD Radio™ Tuner, SiriusXM Ready, and Advanced App Mode for iPhone® 4S and iPhone® 4 | Pioneer Electronics US

AVH-X4500BT - <b>NEW!</b> - 2-DIN Multimedia DVD Receiver with 7" WVGA Touchscreen Display, MIXTRAX, Bluetooth®, and Advanced App Mode for iPhone® 4S and iPhone® 4 | Pioneer Electronics USA

Will the 7 inch screen look too big in an Impala?? Will I hate having to open it to put a cd in?? Will the 6 inch screen icons be too little to easily touch one over another??

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought a Sony Xnv 660bt, love it!! has a 6.1in display and pretty reasonable.. They also have the 770bt with 7in screen but i like having the turn knob for volume and stuff and screen is plenty big enough on the 660

·
MYAAAAAAAHHH
63 Posts
Yeah I bought the Sony 601bt with the 6.1 inch screen. Gonna put it in sometime next week after Christmas. I'll take some pics if you haven't decided by then. I preferred to have the volume nob as well.

·
Registered
433 Posts
you still use actual CD's???

I kid I kid

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not normally :yahoo: But since my AUX was broke off in the jack, yes. I guess it would be used more for DVDs rather than CDs as I have an Iphone and an Ipod for music.

Neither of the two radios have nobs, I use my steering wheel controls 95% of the time. They do both have volume, power, track, ect... buttons. One has larger buttons on the side, the other smaller buttons on the bottom.

·
Banned
748 Posts
I kid I kid
me too me too.. i 12 how old ur ? 11 ?:dizzy:
@ love just get a fm transmitter for you ipad or iphone, if the only reason for replacement is cause u cannot insert them inside the aux in.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
FM modulators suck, they sound ok when you are in the middle of nowhere with no other cars around, but as soon as you get close to somebody else that has one, your channels get crossed. Driving into a major city makes them completely unusable. Most of the newer aftermarket units have ipod cable attachments, or bluetooth, way better.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
FM modulators suck, they sound ok when you are in the middle of nowhere with no other cars around, but as soon as you get close to somebody else that has one, your channels get crossed. Driving into a major city makes them completely unusable. Most of the newer aftermarket units have ipod cable attachments, or bluetooth, way better.
I agree, the FM modulators are a last resort. I dislike them for their lack of fidelity - the dynamic range is very limited.

As for the iPod and bluetooth stuff, keep in mind, one good thing about plain old auxin is that it's universal - there are no compatibility issues with them. Compare that with some of the stories about folks not being able to get their phones/MP3 players to work reliably with their car stereos.

Doug

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Will the 6 inch screen icons be too little to easily touch one over another??
While the small size of the icons is a potential problem area, it's more about the quality of the touch screen and the embedded software. For example, I've seen iPad-like knockoffs that were absolutely awful because of the slow and unreliable response to the touch.

The best way to answer this is to test drive one at an electronics store. Take some time to see whether it's easy to use. Try to get a handle on the basics, then look away (as if looking at the road) and see if you can get it to do what you want without it being a distraction. If it's easy to learn and easy to use, it's worth 3 times the price of the cheap unit with the crappy user interface

Doug

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
But since my AUX was broke off in the jack, yes.
I've had some luck recovering stuff like that. I used a very small drill bit and turned it by hand until it got a good bite, then pulled out the foreign object. They make small, pencil sized hand drills that are a big help. The bit is chucked in the end of the pencil/handle, then you turn that. It's easier than just turning the drill bit in your fingers. My unit has a hollow handle that holds the bits. I think I got it at Radio Shack, but can't swear to that.

Doug

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've had a few different transmitters in the past... not for me. I want to just plug in my Ipod and leave it in the glove box so its always ready :eek:k3:

I also took the car in (to the same guy who put my spoiler on) and the broken piece was taken out but the jack is still junk.

I ordered the Pioneer 4500 with the 7 inch screen. I've seen nothing but good reviews and youtube videos for the new Pioneer range as far as speed and touch-ability of the screen and it being user friendly. Also found some pictures on google of the newer body style Impalas with the bigger screen and it really looked nice to me. With the smaller buttons it looked a little more stock looking to me and thats what I like :eek:k3:

·
Registered
761 Posts
Sure you can see my Double Din!

It's a cheap Jensen that i got for $100, It works ok but i cant wait till i can afford to upgrade to a 7 inch screen and one with Navi already built in like the one you just got. The one you just bought is some baller shit lol

·
Registered
80 Posts
Sure you can see my Double Din!

It's a cheap Jensen that i got for $100, It works ok but i cant wait till i can afford to upgrade to a 7 inch screen and one with Navi already built in like the one you just got. The one you just bought is some baller shit lol
Why is there a picture of a Ford truck in your double din radio?:dunno:
Is that your screen saver?:eek:k3:
LOL:lol:

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
A HEAD UNIT WITH A USB PORT IS NICE ITS WHAT I USE IN MY 02 IMPALA I HAVE A CHEAP DUAL CD PLAYER IN MY CAR WITH A USB INPUT (NOT JUST A CHARGING PORT). WITH IT I USE A HP MICRO USB TO STORE MY MUSIC, THAT WAY YOU WONT HAVE ANY CHORDS RUNNING EVERYWHERE. SOMETHING LIKE THIS WOULD WORK GREAT, SMALL AND DISCRETE... Verbatim Store 'n' Stay 16GB USB Drive - Walmart.com

·
Registered
1,207 Posts

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
nice setup don!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts