Impala Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this 88 suburban right. The temp gauge doesn't work, so I got one of the external manual gages.

In the water pump there is a pipe-plug blocking a random extra hole in the water pump.

Could I pull this pipe plug and put the gauge sender in there? or does it need to be in the head?

I would put it in the head between #1 and 3 cylinders, but there is a pipe plug in there with a square hole, but its a little smaller than my ratchet, and I don't have a tool to get it out.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont know.

maybe there is a big difference on the temp from the engine vs the freshly pumped in water from the radiator?

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Imaybe there is a big difference on the temp from the engine vs the freshly pumped in water from the radiator?
It may read a little cooler than the top of the motor but not enough to be a big problem. The readings may be about 10 to 15 degrees cooler than say at the thermostate housing. I would at least compansate about 30 degrees in the readings to be sure that the engine does not over heat. Another option is to put the sensor in the thermostat housing. It wont read as well untill the stat opens but then it will give the true engine reading. You can buy thermostat housings that have been drilled and taped.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
No, when whoever put the heads on, they put the temp sensor on the wrong side, between 6-8. its supposed to be between 1-3 (cylinders)

The trucks gauge didn't work anyway

I took the thing down to gorge bates and got the tool to pull the pipe plug out. Pulled it out, and I put the new sender/guage combo in there.

now the original guage works fine....

*sigh*

T

·
0 Posts
No, when whoever put the heads on, they put the temp sensor on the wrong side, between 6-8. its supposed to be between 1-3

The gauge didnt work anyway, so i took it down to gorge bates and got the tool to pull the pipe plug out. and but the new sender/guage combo in there. now the origional guage works fine....
Bummer... Your posts are just as illegible on this forum as they are on the other! ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts