Impala Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
daughter misplaced 1 of only 2 keys (w/fob) for our 2003, so now we only have the 1 key & fob.

can I take it to Home Depot and get a couple copies made and use them?

I'm thinking about putting this last remaining original key in our lock box and only giving my kids the new spares I get made

good plan?

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
daughter misplaced 1 of only 2 keys (w/fob) for our 2003, so now we only have the 1 key & fob.

can I take it to Home Depot and get a couple copies made and use them?

I'm thinking about putting this last remaining original key in our lock box and only giving my kids the new spares I get made

good plan?
I'm thinking a Home Depot key should work. I'm using aftermarket keys in both my 02 Impalas. The passkey (security) feature on those only looks for the presence of a key in the cylinder. It doesn't have to be an OE key. I assume the 03's are the same.

Doug

·
Registered
247 Posts
Yes,

I had keys for my 01 7th Gen made at both Home Depot and Lowes for under a few dollars each. They do not have any chips in them and as long as you have a good key to cut from you should be fine. One key I received when I purchased my 7th gen used was worn, the other did not work at all opening the door. But the new key I had cut worked fine, even cut from the slightly worn key.

Also you should be able to pick up another fob if you have the standard factory radio in it- which I think is used to program the fob.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
But the new key I had cut worked fine, even cut from the slightly worn key.
Depending on the locksmith and his tools, it's possible to make a fresh, crisply cut key from one that's badly worn. Basically, there are usually only about 5 teeth, each with 5 possible cut heights. So if the old pattern can be read (eg, 45132), then the new blank can be cut to that same pattern, while not copying the wear pattern from the old key. But this is done using a different cutter than the traditional units we've all seen that trace the old key.

IIRC, the last time I saw this done, the guy had a pistol-like device with wheels on it. Each wheel had numbers (for the cut height). The user dialed in the 5 numbers, then pulled the trigger 5 times, once for each tooth cut, while the tool advanced along the edge of the key.

That said, even tho these new style machines have been around for decades, many places use only the old-style tracing machines.

Doug

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
or would it make more sense to ask for the same from a Chevy dealer? to avoid dealing with any "wear" issues

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
or would it make more sense to ask for the same from a Chevy dealer? to avoid dealing with any "wear" issues
I think the big diff there will be the price. It will surely be higher than what you would pay at most other places.

But I like your idea of saving the original as a master for future copies.

Doug

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
got 2 made at The Home Depot, then went home and took the couch apart where I found the 2nd key and fob right next to daughter's Burt's Bees Pomegranate lip balm ... naturally, right?

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
I thought that these cars needed special Passkey keys - how are people using regular keys from Home Depot? Or do they sell Passkey keys there?

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk

·
Go Get It
15,083 Posts
7th gen vs 8th gen.

7th gen "passlock" is a little switch inside the ignition switch, no chip in the key. Can get keys made at Home Depot or similar

8th gen needs the chipped key @ $50 a pop from the dealer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
From what the parts guy at the dealer said, if the key has a circle with a plus sign in it it has a chip. If it doesn't then no chip. I just got one made and it was only $8 at the dealer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts