Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it true that the paneling is the only thing that is different?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
engine size/type, transmission, even color can make an SS different from a non SS. usually the 396 4 spds were SS i think.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is not uncommon to Clone an SS from a less valuable model. I true enthusiast or collector will know in a heartbeat. But a novice won't.

Some of the SS package was trim, some of it was performance upgrades.

Super Sports held a pleated vinyl interior with front bucket seats, and a console with floor gearshift (when equipped with a four-speed or Powerglide). Swirl-pattern silver anodized material decorated the rear cove outline moldings and wider upper body trim strips of SS models.

Super Sports might have either a six-cylinder or V-8 engine -- though few of the former were sold. A tachometer and sports steering wheel could be added to the package. Quick-ratio power steering was available, along with a seven-position Comfortilt column.

Updated styling featured squarer corners along with a new full-width sculptured grille. Impalas again had triple taillights on each side, plus plenty of brightwork. As usual, they were the top sellers by far, with 889,600 built (including an impressive 185,523 Super Sports).

Just don't try and pass it off as an SS when you go and sell it. This will get you in trouble.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just remember that when you convert it into a convertible...always reinforce the
body. The reason being, on Overhaulin' they converted a '63 T-Bird and a friend had done the upholstery work. He told me that the body started to warp :eek: because it wasn't properly reinforced. Needless to say they ended up having it done.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts