Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is on my 2000 Impala, lately I noticed that sometimes the digital readout on both the odometer and the overhead that shows fuel milage and such, is normal bright then it would become very dim for a bit then get bright again, but now its dim all the time, so I'm guessing there is some component that controls this, but what and where? I can find nothing about it in my owners man. Can anyone here give me some input on this?
Thanks.
Ken.

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
This is on my 2000 Impala, lately I noticed that sometimes the digital readout on both the odometer and the overhead that shows fuel milage and such, is normal bright then it would become very dim for a bit then get bright again, but now its dim all the time, so I'm guessing there is some component that controls this, but what and where? I can find nothing about it in my owners man. Can anyone here give me some input on this?
Thanks.
Ken.
Might be the resistors that drive the display, this was a common problem with the 1998 thru 2004 Buick Regals needed 4 150 ohm 1/2 watt resistors to fix it. Not sure about Impala but the displays should work the same.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Might be the resistors that drive the display, this was a common problem with the 1998 thru 2004 Buick Regals needed 4 150 ohm 1/2 watt resistors to fix it. Not sure about Impala but the displays should work the same.
Thanks. Guess I'll be making a trip to the dealer.

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
If you don't want to try the repair might try a dash out of another Impala. The dealer will try to sell you a new one. Replacing cluster is not that bad, I believe there is a write up on here somewhere or maybe King will chime in.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Replacing the cluster takes less than 20 minutes, honestly it would take me about 10. Pop the fuse covers off each end of the dash and take out the screw behind it, take out the 2 screws over the cluster, take off the screws holding the driver knee bolster panel and remove it, take out the screws that were behind the top of it. If you have a column shift, turn the key on and drop the shifter to L, lower the steering wheel all the way, then start at one end of the dash and work your way across, popping it out of the clips. Unplug the hazard switch, and remove the dash. You will see 4 screws around the perimeter of the cluster, take them out and pull the cluster, unplug it, and that's it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you don't want to try the repair might try a dash out of another Impala. The dealer will try to sell you a new one. Replacing cluster is not that bad, I believe there is a write up on here somewhere or maybe King will chime in.
Forgive my ignorance, and I am, but how will replacing the cluster fix the overhead deal, the "homelink"?

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
It probably wouldn't... The dimming is controlled by the headlight switch, which could be the real issue.

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
OK, maybe I missed something is the digital readout the only thing going bad or all your dash lights also going dim. If all lights going dim, should be dimmer switch if only digital readout going dim then cluster, from OP I was thinking digital read out only.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, maybe I missed something is the digital readout the only thing going bad or all your dash lights also going dim. If all lights going dim, should be dimmer switch if only digital readout going dim then cluster, from OP I was thinking digital read out only.
Yes, only the digital readouts, being the gear select indicator and odometer in the dash, and the homelink deal above are dim. Now I checked it last night while driving in the dark and while the headlights and taillights are on the dig readouts are normal brightness, but when in daylight hours the dig readouts are no longer bright like they used to be. This is a 2000 model, so the headlights are ALWAYS on. The rest of the dash lights are good. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
? are all the running lights on or just the daytime running lights? Is there a auto on for the all the lights. that turn all the lights on when it's gets dark?
If so then it might be that the light sensor on the dash is telling the lights to turn on and when this happens the displays will dim to less then the day setings. The headlamp dash light dimmer controls the dash light brightness.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
^ Just what I was thinking, you can use the headlight switch to turn the brightness up when the auto headlights come on. Try that first.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
^ Just what I was thinking, you can use the headlight switch to turn the brightness up when the auto headlights come on. Try that first.
Just note that the lights will not be as bright as in the day light running mode.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
? are all the running lights on or just the daytime running lights? Is there a auto on for the all the lights. that turn all the lights on when it's gets dark?
If so then it might be that the light sensor on the dash is telling the lights to turn on and when this happens the displays will dim to less then the day setings. The headlamp dash light dimmer controls the dash light brightness.
Ok, I had to wait for daylight to check the daytime running lights and lo and behold there is a problem, in daylight only the headlights should be on, and in a dimmer mode than normal, but with the headlight switch in the off or automatic position the taillights are on as well and when I pull the switch out to the full on position there is no change. To recap, the headlights and taillights are both on day and night in either the off or full on postions and the digital readouts are normal looking at night, but very dim during the day. So is this a problem with the switch or a sensor somewhere?
Thanks again.
Ken.

BTW, where is that sensor you spoke of above?

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Then it might be a faulty ambient light sensor (mounted on the dash).
Try a bright light shineing though the windscreen at the sensor and see if the running lights go out.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Then it might be a faulty ambient light sensor (mounted on the dash).
Try a bright light shineing though the windscreen at the sensor and see if the running lights go out.
Assuming the sensor is the little thing sticking up by the vent, i shined a spot light on it but the taillights stayed on and the dig readouts stayed dim. I did this with the switch in both the auto position and the full on position. Is this telling me the sensor is bad?

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
If the bright lights on it for five min or so then i would say that the ambint light sensor may be at the end of it's life.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If the bright lights on it for five min or so then i would say that the ambint light sensor may be at the end of it's life.
Man i dont even want to have to say this, but i will pocket my pride and just say it. When i first started this post i didnt know about the sensor or that it was on the dash cuz from the seat i cant see it, so when i moved the 2 pair of sunglasses from the vent area to look for it, it didnt even dawn on me that the sunglasses were what causing the irratic behavior, but since removing the glasses its been working normally, so thanks alot for your attempts at helping me out.
Ken

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
If the 2 pair of sunglasses were on my dash they would have been on the pass floor at the second left turn i made. :giggle:
I never thought to ask if the sensor was covered.
Gm truck / vans sensor is very easy to push into the dash by haveing a clip board placed on the dash.
At this time of year i noticed that the lights turn on about one hour after sunrise and on one hour before sun set.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Hell, I would have them on the floor after the first traffic light! Glad you figured it out though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
But mine still isn't working...

Nothing covering my sensor, so does that mean that the sensor is bad? How hard is it to replace? Will i have to take it to a dealer?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts