Impala Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a more agressive camshaft available for a 2006 SS Impala 5.3 engine. Without alot of other changes to be made. Looking for the lopey sound.

·
Registered
396 Posts
supporting mods would be necessary

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Would a lot of other changes include things like pushrods and rockers? Cause you usually need to change those when you go with an aggressive cam. Have you considered just putting a set of mufflers on it? Or, cheap way to get a lopey sound, pull a plug wire!

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Do Both and it will sound totally badass.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Right now I think there's only 1 person with a LS4 running a DOD cam which is what you would need if you don't want to delete that out, but you would still need other supporting mods(like they said above) on top of tuning.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have been looking into doing the same thing. I already know about the rockers and pushrods and i dont plan to keep dod. I would like to produce 400 engine hp with a cam, exhuast, and a tune. My question is how much would a cam swap cost for these cars?

·
Registered
913 Posts
are you talking 400hp at the crank or wheels? You'll never see 400hp at the wheels with cam, exhaust, and tune.

Cost of a cam swap depends on if you do it yourself or if you get a shop to do it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
400 at the engine should be doable. If I read correctly we have the same heads as the z06 just different valves. A cam, tune, and exhaust from the headers back should do this right. I dont care for the dod so it can go.

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
I don't know a lot about the LS variants but I do know a 5.3l has a smaller bore than the ZO6 engines so I find it highly unlikely you have the same head casting. I would be deeply suspicions of the quality of any other "information" you get from the same source.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I don't know a lot about the LS variants but I do know a 5.3l has a smaller bore than the ZO6 engines so I find it highly unlikely you have the same head casting. I would be deeply suspicions of the quality of any other "information" you get from the same source.
We share the same 243 heads(ls6).

·
Registered
913 Posts
400 at the engine should be doable. If I read correctly we have the same heads as the z06 just different valves. A cam, tune, and exhaust from the headers back should do this right. I dont care for the dod so it can go.
At the engine, probably. But why do you care what you make at the crank?

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
We share the same 243 heads(ls6).
Been so long since the Vette got the 5.7l I forgot about it.

Don't get all worked up over "Vette" parts though, lots of options these days.

The LS engines are capable of serious power relatively easily, just like anything else though you need to get past the hype and find actual good information.
I have debated playing with the 5.3l in my truck and have spoken to the guys that do my LT1 stuff about it a little.
Advanced Induction Cylinder Head Development
Too many irons in the fire to play with the truck for now, so I haven't bought anything yet.

·
Registered
396 Posts
you would need an LS1 or LS6 intake swap because the LS4 intake blows. Next a set of Doug thorley headers which i dont know if they even have any left. Next you need a custom grind cam, with all of the supprting mods, springs, rockers, pushrods, etc. Finally a built trans, these trans suck in stock form. Oh dont let me forget a dynotune.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts