Impala Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked and looked, does anyone know if they make cams for the 07ss yet? I've heard that you can use the same ones for an LT1 but I don't want to risk it. I've seen what the wrong cams can do to an engine and I don't need a giant paper wieght.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Cam builder from back in the day

I placed 2nd in 1967 in the Austin state finals against a CJ. I was running a Crower roller. Thats a fact!!! Iam sold on Crower Check it out.

http://crower.com/

Call and they will take your order on the phone for any custom grind.
If you dont know how to order, talk to tech support and they will explain to you what they would recomend for your engine according to how much horsepower you want. How much duration and lift and how it would drive. Some cams are made for the strip only. If you want to drive it everyday, an old 30,30 is and will always sound and run great.

·
Registered
17 Posts
cams

so does that mean that any ls cam can fi tin any ls block?
can silverado parts fit and and right for my 06 impala ss 5.3 because its the same engine just side mounted so i was wondering what performance parts can fit on and in my engine and what other ls or chevy engine parts will also work ? any ideas

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I do think that any LSx cam will work, but how easy is it to get in? Do you need to drop the engine to do it? I dont think these engines pull out of the bay, but rather need to be dropped from underneath. I am just guessing though.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
In theory any LSx cam SHOULD work, once you get around the DOD part

In most cases its easier to drop from under, but you SHOULD be able to pull from top

I did min in the car, so I ASSUME you can do the LS4 in car as well....but maybe not b/c it is a taller block

·
Registered
17 Posts
clearance

thats what i am thinking becuase the block is different it could have clearance issues but idk i first need to get money to even think about caming my car i already struggle wit gas alone cause even being employed at 17 doesnt cut it these days i need a full time not a part time job but if i do anything to my car its exhaust first.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Close to Cam

Anybody have thoughts on the Crane 201750 kit. It includes roller rockers, pushrods, guideplates, and rocker studs. The rockers are 1.7 or 1.8 ratio. This gives a 6% to 12% increase in valve lift and a very small increase in duration. Lot easier to install than a cam but not as much potential power improvement. I know that increasing rocker ratio from 1.7 to 1.8 on a big block in my boat gave me a 3mph top end increase.
Does anyone have experience with rocker ratio increase in the LS3?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ill shed some light on this: on almost any ls engine when you change out your camshaft (typically a higher lift and more duration) you have change out your pushrods. The new cam has a different base circle and throws off the valve train alignment, hence the different pushrod length. Typically shorter pushrod are needed and they come in .050 inch increments. On the rockers almost all ls engines have a 1.7 ratio and have roller fulcrums, changing to a 1.8 again will throw off the alignment. You can buy the adjustable rockers but you have to modify your valve covers to fit them. Also changing a cam shouldn’t affect the DOD that takes place in the lifters. But when doing a cam swap your likely going to have to do a tune. And in the case of the ls4 you’ll have to drop the motor out there’s absolutely no room in the engine bay to do this, there’s barely any room to change the belt as is.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts