Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I posted this in another thread but it may have been the wrong place to do so so I'm gonna try here! I have a 2006 Chevy Impala SS and I am looking for relatively inexpensive ways to improve performance and possibly fuel efficiency. A lot of people have suggested a Cold Air Intake but I wanted to get everyone's opinions on that first! Also, any other suggestions are welcome! Thanks!

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
One easy way is to cut the airbox cover open so more air flows in. Just don't cut it too far or else it will suck in warm engine air instead of colder, denser air. I also replaced the fram air filter with a K&N air filter and it accelerates better. The cold air intakes cost around $300 and may add a few more horsepower.

·
Papa SSmirf
1,046 Posts
One easy way is to cut the airbox cover open so more air flows in. Just don't cut it too far or else it will suck in warm engine air instead of colder, denser air. I also replaced the fram air filter with a K&N air filter and it accelerates better. The cold air intakes cost around $300 and may add a few more horsepower.
:dunno: Hmmm... Where would you cut the air box open to do this??? I am either looking at doing something like this - as I need to replace the stock air box (the hinges are bent and melted...) or get an actual CAI for mine...

if you can tell me where I'd need to modify/cut mine, please let me know and show a pic of where if you can...

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
That's one way to do it with a drill bit or rotary tool. The way I did it was to take a hacksaw and completely cut off the front of the airbox cover and then sand it with some sandpaper. It looks neater and lets in more air when you accelerate. The engine sounds a little louder too.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I did the cut air box mod on both of mine, It makes no noticable increase in power or mpg. But it its LOUD as heck..

the 2012 im in now has the cut air box as well. I just replaced it with a new one before i traded it in and kept the cut up box. here is what it sounds like.

2012 impala - YouTube

If i was going to do this, id buy one off e bay, or just go real cheap, and do a 3" piece of tubing, and slap a round filter on it. the sound gets anoying on long trips. if you want to hear it on your own before you cut it up just take the top of the air box off and drive it down the road... i wouldnt do it while its raining though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts