Impala Forums banner

-----Bypassing Windshield Washer Fluid Message------

20K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  Jeepster09 
#1 ·
Its drivin me crazy. I took the entire thing off, cleaned up everything and it still doesn't read.

I guess sensor is bad.

I used to jumper the sensors on BMW's for their fluids and brake sensors, Im gonna give this one a shot see what happens.

Should be two wires that need spliced together to eliminate the msg.

Anyone ran into this or have a fix?

#8 ·
------Yes it works----------- MSG gone now/fixed.

The BMW trick worked. I was looking at the pump right behind the fender liner. The actual sensor it just beside the pump. It works like a toilet tank fill valve. The mechanism floats upwards and completes the circuit, grounding the wires together.

I took the sensor connector loose, cut the wires, spliced them together, butt crimped them(would have soldered but its 30 degrees right now), electric tape and Washer fluid low msg is gone.

I'll never see that again. I don't need silly sensors going bad all the time telling miniscule things like that.

I might fill my reservoir once a year, its not a big deal.

When I was young, only the high end companies would put stupid sensor like that on your brakes, etc. They never hold up after 80k miles, tiny wires, tiny sensors, we just always bypassed them.

#9 ·
Had the same issue on my old Fords with a low coolant light and annoying chime/ding. Coolant level was fine. The fix was a $100 new tank/sensor. I simply unplugged the sensor and decided I could glance at the dash gauge and periodically check the tank coolant level underhood a lot cheaper, lol!

#10 ·
Man, I love that the car lets you know if some fluid level is low. Personally, I've never had issues with these types of sensors failing, but if I did, I think I'd just replace the sensor - they are not very expensive - especially if you only have to replace them every 10 years/100k miles (for example). I love that the car lets me know when the windshield washer fluid is low (or any other fluid for that matter). Sure, you can check them manually, but if the car can tell you instead, that just seems so much better...

I go out of my way to have stuff like this (like changing from a manual-dim mirror to an auto-dim mirror, backup cameras, etc). I *wish* I could change the climate system to an "auto" climate system in this car! I love the "convenience" stuff!

To each their own, I suppose! :)

Sent from my TbooK 16 Power(M6F8) using Tapatalk

#13 ·
Seems like I've run out before on my '16 Gen 8, and did not get the message. Maybe I'm wrong, but I go thru a lot of it, I've run out before, and I do not recall getting a message warning me it was about to happen.

I'ma check it out now, and just wait until it runs out or I get the message.

#14 ·
I definitely get the "low washer fluid" warning when it gets low on my 2012 (which I love) - I hate running out of washer fluid unexpectedly! I can't imagine that was an "option" though - I would think they all had that feature. And mine was a fleet model, so it's not like it was deleted on all fleet models or anything. Strange...

I guess it could be a "model year" change starting in 2013 (delete on fleet models only)?

#15 ·
I definitely get a warning on my 2008 as well, just to throw it out there.

#17 ·
So I had the notice that I was low on fluid, when in fact it was full. Curiously I look into the reservoir and I found what looks like a large pill. I pull it out and realize it was part of the sensor.

I drain the reservoir and pull the sensor straight out. No twist needed. Just pull straight out.

I did a continuity check and found that when the white float sits on the sensor the circuit is closed. This was a surprise to me in that I thought that the float would rise away from the sensor and that would indicate a full tank.
So I tape the white float to the sensor and reassemble. Remember the locking tab of the sensor is up. If you get this wrong you will still have a fluid low indication.

I suspect there are individuals out there that assume that they had a wiring issue when in fact it was just the sensor being upside down.

So I went to rock and they do not sell a sensor for a 2011. But you can buy the sensor if you look under 2007.
I also found that you can buy a 2011, reservoir with the sensor. Not much different in the price.

Attachments

#20 ·
When I replaced mine, I found the difference in model years was the plug in connector. The connection is different on different years, however with quick look they look identical. One year fits tank and wires won't plug in. Found out this the hard way and had to remove new sensor and get correct one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.