Impala Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully someone can help pulling my hair out over this one. Also if this has been answered please point me in the right direction.

I have a 2002 Impala 3.4 base model. Yesterday it started making a humming noise from the front I pretty sure it is coming from the passenger side. Starts at around 30 mph loudest at 45 slightly quieter at 55-60 mph. The noise is constant, doesn't change while turning. It lessons slightly when letting off the accelerator but not much.

Put the car on jack stands put it in drive got to 35-40 mph no noise. Took the front tires off and supported front axles to replicate weight while driving. Looked on the wheel wells, axles nothing rubbing.

The power steering pump had a little play so I grabbed one from my parts car. That one had some play but my parts car wasn't making that noise when it was still running.

Put everything back together, same problem.

My parts car is a 2005 that I drove for 10 years without this issue.

No error codes on my 2002, tires and brakes are good. I had wheel bearings go out over the years but they've never made this sound. The ones I've done have taken out the wheel speed sensor and thrown an error code.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Answered my own question. Found some deflection in the passenger side bearing. Was able to move it slightly with the tire on. Put a different hub in and the problem went away. First time I've had a wheel bearing make that kind of noise. It didn't take out the wheel speed sensor which it has when I've had this happen in the past.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts