Impala Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

The time has come and I need to start looking at and Impala. I have wanted one for a long time and have been looking into them pretty seriously lately. I have been looking at the 2000 to 2002 years and really like the LS but not sure if I can finance one at this time. Which is the better motor, the 3.4 or 3.8? I hear they are pretty close to the same MPG, are they? What should I look for when buying an Impala? Any thing in particular i should look for? Can i expect it to last many years (200,000 miles) without many repairs? Just wondering what you guys have to say since most of you have them and know everything about them. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Eric

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey, I'd recommend going with the 3.8L. The 3.4's are bad for lower intake manifold leaks. The two engines get pretty close to the same fuel economy and you'll like the jump of the 3.8 when you need it.

Before you buy an Impala, take it for a test drive. Go to an empty parking lot and do some standard tests such as braking, accelerating, cornering at different speeds, and make sure all the electrical components work such as the windows and radio. Before I bought my Impala I took it for a test drive and noticed that when cornering at about 30kph there was a clunking noise. This was due to the control arm bushings so check that out. The Impala are prone to getting condensation in the headlights/fog lights so check that out too.

I couldnt tell you how they run with 200,000 miles on them cause mine only has 64,4xx km but I love this car. The LS's are sporty on the outside but very luxerous inside. I'm a diehard GM guy and this car is part of the reason why.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts