Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I am new to the forum, so first I will say hello! Hope everyone is doing well!

I used to drive a Camaro and then a full size Chevy pickup, but with family, ended up driving mid size imports. I am currently looking to get a used Impala but worry about reliability/issues, etc. I am finding a lot of used Impalas with the V6 (LT2) for $14-16.5K and between 40,000 and 56,000 miles. The ones I am checking were only owned by one owner. Any thoughts on issues and reliability, assuming good maintenance and care for the vehicle? I am 6'3", 240 and prefer larger cars, trucks and SUVs. Thanks guys! Appreciate it.

Rich

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi all!

I am new to the forum, so first I will say hello! Hope everyone is doing well!

I used to drive a Camaro and then a full size Chevy pickup, but with family, ended up driving mid size imports. I am currently looking to get a used Impala but worry about reliability/issues, etc. I am finding a lot of used Impalas with the V6 (LT2) for $14-16.5K and between 40,000 and 56,000 miles. The ones I am checking were only owned by one owner. Any thoughts on issues and reliability, assuming good maintenance and care for the vehicle? I am 6'3", 240 and prefer larger cars, trucks and SUVs. Thanks guys! Appreciate it.

Rich
Welcome to the forums!

I am also a hefty, teddy bear type gentleman who is not quite that tall.

I am a Lyft driver for my primary job and I needed a newer vehicle for this job (I dt0

I have a 2014 Chevy Impala full sized sedan, but mine is the Economy 2.5L V-Tech 4 cylinder. I bought my car with 40.6K a little over three years ago and now it is approaching 160K! I have been changing the fluids at the regular intervals, however as my car's mileage is approaching the 200K mark I am probably going to change my transmission fluid at 30K instead of the manufacturer's recommended 50K. Also, since I have bought my car, I have started to use FULL Synthetic and not GM's Dextrose Synthetic Blend for my oil changes (5w-20). I have also been getting the same gas milage as I did when I first put it on the road.

FYI...

Because of how much I am on the road I have only been using 87 octane. Every once in awhile I use Lucas Oil 5K fuel additive and every few tanks of fuel I use a yellow bottle of antifreeze to lessen and absorb the water in my tank. I find that doing these steps with my car helps with running my car at peak performance; even though it is only a 4 cylinder it is a great car for doing Lyft.

Also keep in mind that even though I have a 4-cylinder (and even the 6-cylinders) these Full size Impalas only can handle 944KG of weight total within the car itself. You cannot tow with these cars (at least the ones I have seen and driven,anyway)...

Cheers!

《♤》Sawywaya / Spirit Wolfe 《♤》

____
Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
[ PLEASE consider giving KIN... ]

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi friend, thanks for responding! 160k? Wow. At 6'3"my midsize Hyundai Sonata is a pain at times. I have to lean forward to see lights when at a stop. I fluctuate between 230-240, built like a football player, LOL. Will need to haul guitar gear.....
For my purposes, I really prefer the feel and response of the V6, but I hope the 4 and 6 have similar reliability. I also was looking into Mazdas and Toyotas. I am getting back into playing guitar in bands, and will be hauling some guitar gear as well.
I just love the look of the newer Impalas and the room, headroom/legroom, and feel of a big car, plus the power of the V6. I am going to test drive some and if I find no issues and good vehicle history/recall history, etc....I may bite.
With being tall, I hate squatting down into small cars. I thought an SUV could be best for me but the Impala is a larger car and seems to sit up higher than my Sonata and other imports. Plus, to get a lot of power in an SUV, price goes way up as does Gas mileage. :(
-Rich

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi friend, thanks for responding! 160k? Wow. At 6'3"my midsize Hyundai Sonata is a pain at times. I have to lean forward to see lights when at a stop. I fluctuate between 230-240, built like a football player, LOL. Will need to haul guitar gear.....
For my purposes, I really prefer the feel and response of the V6, but I hope the 4 and 6 have similar reliability. I also was looking into Mazdas and Toyotas. I am getting back into playing guitar in bands, and will be hauling some guitar gear as well.
I just love the look of the newer Impalas and the room, headroom/legroom, and feel of a big car, plus the power of the V6. I am going to test drive some and if I find no issues and good vehicle history/recall history, etc....I may bite.
With being tall, I hate squatting down into small cars. I thought an SUV could be best for me but the Impala is a larger car and seems to sit up higher than my Sonata and other imports. Plus, to get a lot of power in an SUV, price goes way up as does Gas mileage. :(
-Rich
The 4 & 6 cylinders have almost, if not, identical, response times. Everything is the same (besides 2 cylinders and the bells and whistles that make up the difference between the different flavors of the Impalas).

Even though the Impala is a family car (for 4 anyway; tight fit for 5, IMO) and cannot tow anything it is great even for a lightweight car, even in the ice and snow. If you know how to use the lower gears of a car properly, the auto-clutch in the GM's v-tech engines when in "M"anual mode, can help control the car better in this type of weather by shifting through 6 different speeds and watching the tachometer when shifting gears accordingly.

Cheers!

____

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
When I say response, I mean power and acceleration, horsepower, etc. I have driven a lot of 4 cyclinders, V6s and V8s. I just prefer most V6 engines. :)
Yes, I used to live in Rockies and a long time snowboarder/skier, have a lot of experience with manual and automatic transmissions in the snow. I always use the low gear/mode in snow and ice. My girlfriend has a 2019 Buick Encore with that "M"anual mode and I use it like I use the Low "-" in my Sonata.

I just noticed the 4 cylinder is 200 HP.

How is the interior quality, sound system?
In my Sonata, the center console broke around 75k miles and the side arm rest is dented in and torn from normal use, and weight from my elbow sitting there.

·
Registered
59 Posts
When I say response, I mean power and acceleration, horsepower, etc. I have driven a lot of 4 cyclinders, V6s and V8s. I just prefer most V6 engines. :)
Yes, I used to live in Rockies and a long time snowboarder/skier, have a lot of experience with manual and automatic transmissions in the snow. I always use the low gear/mode in snow and ice. My girlfriend has a 2019 Buick Encore with that "M"anual mode and I use it like I use the Low "-" in my Sonata.

I just noticed the 4 cylinder is 200 HP.

How is the interior quality, sound system?
In my Sonata, the center console broke around 75k miles and the side arm rest is dented in and torn from normal use, and weight from my elbow sitting there.
The 4-cylinder 2014 Impala you need a bluetooth transceiver (set to receive) and a small headphone amp with a couple of male-to-male headphone plugs to have the use of your phone for playing music through the system because that console, although it allows for bluetooth connectivity... it only allots VOICE bluetooth NOT music. The LTs (which is my 2019 rental - my car is in the shop from getting hit doing Lyft ) allow bluetooth phones to connect fully to the car's system for both music, voice and text. Although I would still use the other method if you want a little louder music. Just be careful you don't over tax your speakers by cranking your stereo's volume control to max and forgetting you have another in-line audio amp installed/connected to your AUX in...lol.

But the speaker quality and sound for stock audio is great! You got 4 speakers in front and two in back (doors)...

Cheers!

____

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ahh, so the car I am interested in is a 2016 2LT with convenience packages, and I would definitely need to be able to Bluetooth my phone for voice and music. I use that all the time and I assume this 2016 2LT has that capability. Thanks for the info.

Thanks for your kind help. I se a lot of used 2018 Impala Premium models that are cheap and I found out that most were rental cars. That would worry me. Worry that someone smoked in the car and drove it hard!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Welcome Rich! Like you, I like the extra 100 hp you get with the v-6. LFX 3.6 vvt 305 hp 6spd. auto. Those Premiums are nice, rental or not! Esp. the black ones, lol!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome Rich! Like you, I like the extra 100 hp you get with the v-6. LFX 3.6 vvt 305 hp 6spd. auto. Those Premiums are nice, rental or not! Esp. the black ones, lol!
Thanks!
So it appears the 2015-2016 Impala 2LT models I have found, do have the proper Bluetooth connectivity.
What makes the Premium so special?
I worry buying a rental because a lot of people drove these cars, and many beat them up. I am sure some even smoked in the car. That would bother me. :(
Rich

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have two cars to check out/
2015 LT2 with 21,000 miles at $18,995
2016 LT2 with 40,000 miles at $16,352

Do you think I can get the 2015 lower? I have a 2014 Sonata with 120,000 miles for trade in.

·
Registered
110 Posts
If size is your primary concern, then make sure you do not get a 2014-2016 Limited Impala. These Limited vehicles are a fleet vehicle extension of the previous generation body design. That previous generation is still quite roomy, but the newest generation Impala has even more space over and above.
I am 6' 4" and my own older Limited is pretty good for leg room, but the center console creeps in on the amount of width a driver has

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks! So don't get the Limited model? So a 2015-2016 2LT or LTZ is OK? Is that the Premier? I see a lot of 2017-2018 Impala Premier models that list as rental fleet vehicles, and they seem to sell cheap.
I see some come with dual exhaust but not sure it's worth it.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Iirc, all the 3.6 v-6's had dual exhaust? Dunno about the 2.5 4 cyl. And yes, if it's listed as a "Limited" it's the old body style.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I checked a few times, Dual exhaust is only on the LTZ. I am looking at a V6 2LT with single exhaust.

I see most fleet cars now are the Premium. They go pretty cheap used, I guess because they get beat up in use.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a bitter sweet "deal" of sorts going on here. I think GM was "gearing up" for their final release in their 2019 Chevy Impala series. I have been given the pleasure of driving a 2019 Chevy Impala v6 LT for my rental while my 2014 Chevy Impala is in the shop getting over $3K worth of repairs from someone who hit me while I was taking a Lyft rider to his destination. (No one was injured, thank God.) Anywho, my point is that all of the features I have been reading in these different Impala models are in the 2019 that I have been driving. I especially like the feature that when the doors are closed and you (and the key fob) walk away from the vehicle the doors auto-lock. This 2019 model you can set the auto rear and front defrost and heat. It does not have heated mirrors, however. I also like the hideaway cubby behind the touch screen complete with a usb power port. FYI, this USB port (although the cubby can hide a cell phone or two comfortably) cannot charge my Galaxy S8 at all; not enough power, although it charges a small bluetooth device just fine. Not bad for a rental with ~15K on her. I wish that I could keep it!

Cheers!

____

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can you charge a Gallaxy s9 in an impala? I would think you can?

Glad you are OK, regarding the accident. :) Sorry it happened.

I am nervous. The last American car I owned was a 2000 or late 90s Olds Intrigue and that engine died quickly and things started to fall apart not long after purchase.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
All,

I bought a 2016 metallic silver Impala 2LT and love it so far! Only two issue thus far.

I can't get Google maps or navigation through the touch screen as you can on many newer cars. I downloaded the Android mobile app but it didn't help.

The other thing is I use my phone which is a Samsung Galaxy S9 for music, using the Samsung music app and Spotify. When I connect the phone to the car's system via Bluetooth, it isn't very powerful or loud as it is with the radio or satellite radio. I think it was louder with my previous car which was a 2014 Hyundai Sonata. Is there a small phone/car preamp I can buy?

Sawywaya, I think I see what you mean about the amp. I don't need a Bluetooth transceiver wince the 20162LT has that and my phone works with it, so when you said you would still use the amp method in the 2019 you drove, I assume you only meant the phone/headphone amp? I bet it would help with earphones/headphones too. I read about that. Being a guitar player, I am somewhat familiar with pre-amps/power amps and amps in general.
Would something like this be OK?

This seems unusual, I have never found this to be an issue in other cars.

Thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi all! Thanks again for the info, opinions and help! Only things I can't get working with car are the remote start and Android Auto for navigation and maps.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts