Impala Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have immediately turned down a used car because of smoke, not just the smell but my wife is asthmatic. But I have also used a cobbled up ozone generator to eliminate smells like mold and smoke. Professional fire damage restoration outfits put whole roomfuls of furniture etc. into sealed lockers and run ozone in for several hours and it all comes out smelling like new. Hotels do this to rooms damaged by smokers, though they may remove some items before turning it on.

But ozone damages rubber, the longer the exposure the more damage is done. Car interiors are full of plastics that may not be affected, perhaps very little rubber anymore (brake pedals??), but I don't know how leather would take ozone. You don't want something like that to crumble, do you! Find out.

A small ozone machine is affordable and might be well worth the investment if the deal is really good. Even one hour would make a significant difference, though to really vanquish serious smoke might take several hours. But poke around, the information has to be there among the pros. Car dealers may not do it for a reason, or maybe they do it all the time....

Jon

·
Registered
30 Posts
Too many variables to know for sure ahead of time. If it stinks and it won't bother you, go for it; otherwise I would pass. But then I am a former smoker off the butts for 9 years. Mother in law still smokes and it's near impossible for me to spend any time in her house because of the stink and when my wife carts her around I can tell because it stinks.

If it were me I would pass altogether. Unless it is such a raging deal that I could afford to douche it out several times; maybe.

Good luck with your endeavor.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hah, some good laughs here, and some great ideas. I appreciate the thoughts. The deal is pretty good and as you'd imagine the seller is very easy to communicate and work with. I'll be looking at a couple other cars ahead of time to see if I can dodge this car, but I may at least go look at it and if I can't smell it I can always buy one of the air purifiers mentioned above.

Thanks again!

21 - 23 of 23 Posts