Impala Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm gonna look at an Impala that is owned by a smoker. He stopped smoking 5 months ago.

The car is leather and he's thinking that with a good detail that I won't notice the smell.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

·
Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
It really all depends on his specific habits. I smoke in my Impala and even though it has cloth seats, nobody can smell the smoke smell at all. But - my windows are are left cracked at ALL times after I exit the car (I have WeatherTech Window deflectors), I keep my car interior clean and I don't leave cigarette butts in the ashtray (just ashes). I also don't smoke in the car very much - and when I do, I blow the smoke directly out the window.

If someone chain-smokes with their windows up, leaves dozens of cigarette butts int he ashtray at all times and never cleans the interior, I'm sure it would be hard to get rid of the smell.

So it really all depends, but honestly, more often than not, it's tough to get rid of the smell... It also depends how sensitive you are to the smell and how good your nose is, I guess. :)

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
my wife quit smoking and we had her 2011 LT Cruze detailed by family friends and it removed a considerable amount of the smoke from the cars interior (leather seats). now granted she kept the ash in a metal container that sits in the cup holder and had the windows down whenever she smoked. she was about a pack a day i'd estimate. with that being said in the same car we forgot a 1/2 gallon of milk that leaked into the carpet behind the passenger seat. had some small time detailer we had never heard of work on it and it improved some but we wound up using a container of baking soda (seal during the drive and open during idle periods). after some time the smell came out (probably sprinkled a bunch in the carpet as well in the area we thought the smell was).

with that being said it all depends on how well the interior was cared for i imagine, as to whether or not you can get the smells out. but if he's willing to sell the car bad enough, see if you can get him to have it detailed at a reputable shop before buying it. i was paying 220 for a complete detail from the wifes step-aunt (step mom's sister/sisters husband). for just the interior it may only be about 120-ish?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I personally would not, but then after growing up in the 70's with two smokers in vehicles with the windows up I cannot stand being around cigarette smoke or the smell of it that clings to pretty well everything it is exposed to. Even with a detail, if you have allergies or other problems such as lung problems it could cause you issues. The stains the smoke leaves inside surfaces a detail won't reach will still be there.

Reactions: 1999 White C5 Coupe

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I personally would not, but then after growing up in the 70's with two smokers in vehicles with the windows up I cannot stand being around cigarette smoke or the smell of it that clings to pretty well everything it is exposed to. Even with a detail, if you have allergies or other problems such as lung problems it could cause you issues. The stains the smoke leaves inside surfaces a detail won't reach will still be there.

Smoke residue will remain on the interior of the HVAC vents, the fan motor and blades, the headliner, deep in the carpets and insulation under the seats, insulation inside the dash, etc.

I would never buy a vehicle previously owned by a smoker. My THEORY, but people that smoke don’t care about themselves and their health (and others around them such as their children) - so I wouldn’t expect them to care about their vehicle and take care of it.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I used to smoke 2- 2 1/2 packs a day (quit many years ago) and I would always smoke in my S-10. I never smelled it at all and nobody said anything. After I quit I could smell it badly. When you smoke somehow your senses tend to not notice the smell or the yellowing of things you smoke around. I never noticed the ceiling above the computer room I smoked in until after I quit. It was more yellow than the Grinch's teeth!
I disagree with your theory 1999 White C5 Coupe, just because someone smokes doesn't mean they don't care about themselves, health or their children's health. It's a very hard habit to break. You can care more than Sister Mother Theresa but if you are hooked on the smokes it is rough.

Reactions: kbz1960

·
Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
My THEORY, but people that smoke don’t care about themselves and their health (and others around them such as their children) - so I wouldn’t expect them to care about their vehicle and take care of it.
I'm sorry, but that is absolutely ridiculous...

There is absolutley no relationship between someone smoking and whether or not they take care of their cars! Stupidest thing I've ever heard... A perfect example - I take better care of my car that anyone I know - and I smoke. My car is also one of the cleanest cars you will find - inside and out. Meanwhile, my wife, who doesn't smoke, doesn't take care of her car AT ALL - in *any* way whatsoever. So much for that "theory". :)

Regarding the not caring about themselves and others, that's like saying that people that eat red meat - or french fries - or any other food that is "bad" for you - or drink alchohol - don't care about themselves or others around them either. That is also ridiculous. Let's face it, just because you smoke or drink or eat unhealthy foods, doesn't mean that you're going to die earlier than someone that doesn't. Life isn't fair like that. You know the saying, "only the good die young"...

Regarding the smoke smell - of course you won't notice the smoke smell in your car if you are a smoker! But I have specifically asked non-smokers - and it is absolutely undetectable in my car, even though I smoke in it (but not heavily). Again, how often you smoke, whether or not you leave cigarette butts int he car and how you take care of your car all play into it.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Obviously if someone smokes with their hand holding the cigarette out the window when it is not in their mouth, the effects will not be as strong as those where someone smokes inside with the windows up, but there will still be noticeable traces no matter how well you clean the car.

Me, I get nauseated and swimmy headed when I get in a car that has been smoked in. I have cleaned a few cars that were smoked in and even with heavy cleaning was not able to remove enough of the remnants to make those vehicles where I could sit in them for any length of time without feeling sick. My mother was a smoker and she had dementia and unfortunately got to a point she was not safe to drive. Had to take away her car, I had to roll the windows down to even be able to sit in it, and that was after spending a lot of time cleaning the car. The windshield on the car would develop a film after it would sit. You could roll the windows down and let it air out and it would eventually be not so bad, but close it back up and let it sit and open it on a hot day and it would again be very noticeable. Sure you can shampoo the carpets, but you cannot completely remove the smoke from all the places under the dash, in the seat foam, in the foam of the headliner. It is there and no amount of cover spray will remove it, it only masks it. I have also tried cleaning the yellow gooo out of computers that were owned by smokers and it is nasty and sticky, that same crap is on surfaces you do not realize that are difficult to get to inside the car.

So, for me personally NO, I would not. If for you it would not bother you and you can get a great deal on the car then that is what really matters.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the thoughts!

The owner did offer to detail the car, so I'll ask him to do it before we meet up.

If I can smell it I'll steer clear. I'll also ask about his smoking habits - thanks for the pointers.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I take better care of my car that anyone I know - and I smoke. My car is also one of the cleanest cars you will find - inside and out.
Sorry, but your car stinks. Agreed correlation is not causality, but unfortunately no matter what you do the smell will be there. The only way not to have your car smell like an ash tray is not to smoke in it.

Personally when shopping for a used vehicle if it has been smoked in its a hard pass.

·
Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
Sorry, but your car stinks. Agreed correlation is not causality, but unfortunately no matter what you do the smell will be there. The only way not to have your car smell like an ash tray is not to smoke in it.

Personally when shopping for a used vehicle if it has been smoked in its a hard pass.
Until you sit in my car, please don't make generalizations. As I've said, I've asked multiple non-smokers if they smell any "smoke smell" in my car and they do NOT. They are NOT lying to me. :)

My car absolutely 100% does not "smell like an ash tray"....

·
Super Moderator
3,949 Posts
Years ago I bought a mid 80s truck from a HEAVY smoker and while granted it had a lot less soft surfaces than todays vehicles the smell went away. I actually had to wax the painted metal roof interior to get the haze off of it.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Even though I quit quite a while back, cigarette smoke doesn't bother me besides smelling bad.
I would tend to agree that Jtrosky's car probably smells of smoke.

·
Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
You guys are funny. You have never been in my car, you have no idea how much I smoke in my car, you have no idea how I smoke in my car and no idea how I maintain my car - but you seem to know that it smells like an ashtray - even though other non-smokers have told me repeatedly that they had no idea I smoked in the car (and smokers assume that I don't allow smoking in my car).

I'm sure a bloodhound could detect the odor in my car, but unless you are a dog and will be sniffing around every inch of my car, I disagree that you would detect the odor. My wife, son and parents are non-smokers who dislike the smell of smoke - and they also agree that my car does NOT smell like smoke - yet my wife will make sure to let me know when my clothes smell like smoke!

We'll have to agree to disagree. If you are ever in the Philly area - let me know - I'd be glad to prove you wrong. :)

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I never said 100% your car smells like smoke I said it probably does. I'd take you up on your offer but Virginia is too far North as it is and I don't want to go any further North. Now if you lived South or West it would be more probable (not 100% just probable).

·
Registered
306 Posts
Buy this

Product Electronics Technology Line Electronic device

It’s pricey, but 1 full day running this in the car the smell will be gone.

My close friend smokes like a chimney.

He went to sell his car but as u can imagine it stunk to high heaven. We put this in his car a week before he sold it. And within 24 hours u couldn’t smell the smoke anymore. I have this myself. And the damn thing killed the ‘new car smell’ in my car. But that’s ok I guess lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Majozak

·
Registered
2009 Impala SS
1,630 Posts
Even with an Ozone generator the smell will occasionally rear its' ugly head.
You can stomp on it a lot but it never absotively posolutely completely goes away.

You want to run the ozone generator with the heat on recirculate full blast for at least 6 hours.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I get that, but it worked EXTREMELY well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Yeah, the ozone generator just hides the odors and freshens the air while it is running. The tar from the smoke will still be on the surfaces it is not removed from though and as long as it is there the potential for odors will be as well.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts