Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I got a timing light to use that Angel recommended to me. But before I got to use it, I now get to play with a broken brake line.

1991 Caprice Classic. 305. Civilian car, nothing special.

Driver's side front fender well. Right on the frame, I can see what looks like a big black rubber block/grommet thingy that has all 4 brake lines going thru it before they go out to the rest of the car. I could be wrong about what this block is.

Anyway, One of the brake lines broke right off near this block on the front side.

My question is: is this a huge pain in the ass to fix or should I go see an expert? Computers are my forte', cars are just my second passion! :biggrin:

Professional opinions?

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
From what you're saying, yeah, that's a pain in the ass. If I'm getting this right, that brake line is probably a very long piece of steel line that has lots of bends in it. You may be able to get it out and get a long line from the parts store, you can also get a bender there and try to do it all yourself, but man its a pain.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, it looks like a line going from the master cylinder to the little ABS brain box up near the radiator. I called my trusty local repair chain guys and they're going to take a look at it tonight.

It's odd... Looks like the lines must butt connect inside several black rubber grommets all around the car. The black block thingy's seem to have a metal clamp that goes around them to hold everything tight. Seems like an odd setup for brakes, but hey.

I think I'm about ready to dump this car. Ugh!

·
Registered
828 Posts
Sounds like a $8 repair, I don't see where the difficulty would be, especially when it's all under the hood.
I guess I just don't trust anybody working on my car... I haven't taken a car to a mechanic in about 30 years.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like a $8 repair, I don't see where the difficulty would be, especially when it's all under the hood.
I guess I just don't trust anybody working on my car... I haven't taken a car to a mechanic in about 30 years.
And it probably is that cheap in a piece of tubing and a couple of flare nuts. I'm just not comfortable messing around with brake lines, especially when it's cold and rainy outside and I have no garage!

The garage I'm using is a customer of mine at work. We do all their computer networking stuff and sell them anything they need. They've always done me right so far.

I dropped it off last night and I'm waiting for the call now. I'll keep ya posted!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just talked to the guy here. Looks like I have 2 busted lines and the rest are on the way out. We're looking at 3 hours of labor... estimate is $250 to replace them all.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just talked to the guy here. Looks like I have 2 busted lines and the rest are on the way out. We're looking at 3 hours of labor... estimate is $250 to replace them all.
All the lines between the master and the ABS module are replaced. Now they say a fitting on the proportioning valve is cracked. Another $160 for a new valve. Eff words...

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All the lines between the master and the ABS module are replaced. Now they say a fitting on the proportioning valve is cracked. Another $160 for a new valve. Eff words...
Well, got the car back last night. $423 for half a dozen brake lines and a new proportioning valve.

My master is half bad (the back half part is dead) but my rear brakes never worked anyway. So now if I want to get them fixed, it's gonna be a new master cylinder, 2 wheel cylinders, drums, shoes and hardware. AFTER I get the rear end fixed because my grandpa was a cheap ass. I need a new axle shaft, wheel bearing and seal. And if I want it fixed right, a new posi unit.

Ugh. Too much to do, too little time and money!

The wife now hates my bbody, and I'm starting to agree with her! :frown:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts