Impala Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Just scraped my recently replaced bumper over a really badly placed curb -_-. Any recommendation on a quick fix. I cannot afford to get it repainted again. I was going to sand the spot down and use a spray paint that matches it the closest. Or use Plasti-dip and just spray the whole bottom of the bumper.

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
How visible is that when you are not lying on the ground?

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Agreed this is more of a rant/blow off steam than a question. You should have seen the underside of my front bumper before I did some work to it! I had to use a palm sander to blend in the deep scrapes/grooves. Then, hand sand, wet sand with 2k grit, primer (if desired). And paint with duplicolor paint match cans.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: Gault06SS

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How visible is that when you are not lying on the ground?
Here is the front view. I was mostly angry that I replaced the bumper 3 days ago, I cannot deny that. I am new to the forum and was curious if anyone else has ever done a similar repair. I was planning on sanding and using a matching colour. Here are front pictures.

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
i think if you sand smooth and paint the repair no one will notice

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I suppose the next person you hit might see it while they are on the ground. As soon as you fix it, you'll do the same thing on the other side, so wait a few weeks.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I'm not a car bra kinda guy haha! I'll have to wet sand it and get a metallic paint or touch up that close. Let it dry and resand again and whatnot. It is also cracked yes. I am worried about that.....

·
Drinks Gasoline
237 Posts
If you don't fix the crack, don't even bother to work on the scrape. That crack will spread or the plastic will deform over time and the crack will widen.

There are plastic weld techniques, but basically they'll all require a repaint. You *might* be able to repair from behind if you remove the cover from the car, but no guarantees.

Have you called any plastic bumper repair shops to find out how much for a repair and repaint, if you bring it to them off the car?

Also, a good junkyard bumper sprayed at Maaco might work.

·
Registered
209 Posts
That doesn't look too bad. Here in California we have some of the worse road/streets around anywhere so those blemishes are common. In reality like the others said it doesn't show much at all unless you stoop down to look. Most if not all won't even notice.

Besided that after work yesterday I got smacked in the rear on my 08' Impala SS and the guy from Utah hardly spoke any english:gaah::bang:
After I get a hair cut I'm off to the AAA to get it reported straight away.

If you hate blemishes think of my rear bumper:bang:

Durango

1 - 13 of 13 Posts