Impala Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We want to have our cars looking great, right? The bumper painted goes south first. I wax the tops of the bumpers 2X a year, back bumper a couple of months ago & this weekend I did the top of the front bumper. It's good to wax in segments. It's not as daunting.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Looks great, but you should be aware that most waxes and polishes are only good for about 3 months, even in the best of conditions. Carnuba-based waxes will burn off after a month or so. Most petroleum-based formulas will last up to 3 times as long. I use a good petro-based polish from Zaino quarterly to protect the finish on my vehicles. It goes one easily by hand, and buffs off easily.

If you want solid 6-month finish protection, you should use a paint sealant. Sealants can hold up from 6 to 12 months, depending on formulation and weather exposure. I have used a product called RejeX that provides at least 6 months of protection. But it's difficult to apply and even more difficult to buff off, so it's best applied and buffed with a machine.

Ceramic coatings will protect the longest, but they have multiple downsides. I've seen good results obtained with ceramics, but personally avoid them.

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks great, but you should be aware that most waxes and polishes are only good for about 3 months, even in the best of conditions. Carnuba-based waxes will burn off after a month or so. Most petroleum-based formulas will last up to 3 times as long. I use a good petro-based polish from Zaino quarterly to protect the finish on my vehicles. It goes one easily by hand, and buffs off easily.

If you want solid 6-month finish protection, you should use a paint sealant. Sealants can hold up from 6 to 12 months, depending on formulation and weather exposure. I have used a product called RejeX that provides at least 6 months of protection. But it's difficult to apply and even more difficult to buff off, so it's best applied and buffed with a machine.

Ceramic coatings will protect the longest, but they have multiple downsides. I've seen good results obtained with ceramics, but personally avoid them.
Thanks for the offering.

My Impala had paint sealant. The waxing I do by hand, old school, 2X a year on top half andbumpers & 1X a year on bottom of doors is just to fortify.

I live in Phx and it drives me bonkers with other drivers that do nothing on dark cars. The clear coat peeling and can even see how the paint was applied, overlapped on trucks & SUVs.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Do the polymer synthetic waxes do any cleaning of the harder to remove grime the way the natural waxes do? Thinking of Meguars ultimate liquid and I want to know if I have to really hammer off the tar and bugs entirely or if I can do a basic wash that is just fine when I use natural wax.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Do the polymer synthetic waxes do any cleaning of the harder to remove grime the way the natural waxes do? Thinking of Meguars ultimate liquid and I want to know if I have to really hammer off the tar and bugs entirely or if I can do a basic wash that is just fine when I use natural wax.
There are several combination cleaner/polish products on the market. Zaino makes one called All-In-One that I use on our daily drivers, since I'm partial to their product line.

Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with the Zaino company. I just happen to think their products work well.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I go old school wet paper towels to soften and repeat wipe til dead bugs gone. Then I wet it down with windex and wipe down area with paper towels before applying the wax. That's good enough for me.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have tried bug/tar spray, windex, and just elbow grease and nothing seems to be doing it on these spots all over the lower half of all four doors. Going to have to crack open the second half of the detailing clay I used two years ago when I bought the car. If detailing clay doesn't take it off, I am calling it quits and just waxing over the top of whatever hellspawn goo this crap is.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have tried bug/tar spray, windex, and just elbow grease and nothing seems to be doing it on these spots all over the lower half of all four doors. Going to have to crack open the second half of the detailing clay I used two years ago when I bought the car. If detailing clay doesn't take it off, I am calling it quits and just waxing over the top of whatever hellspawn goo this crap is.
When I need to remove road tar, I sometimes spray a paper towel with brake cleaner and wipe the spots with that. The tar dissolves and comes off quickly without much rubbing. If your spots are tar, you might try this. However, the brake cleaner also strips off any wax or polish, so follow up with a good re-coat of your usual paint protection product.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They make bug & tar cleaner. I used to use it on my white 96 Park Ave Ultra. Prob 5-6 bucks well spent.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I've tried a couple of the bug and tar cleaners, but I have better results with Brake cleaner. I think it works faster and better.

Reactions: VladThe

·
Registered
174 Posts
OK, started in with the clay and that seems to work barely better than the bug/tar spray. So I am now going out to get brake cleaner to go full nuclear on this stuff.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Sigh. The brake cleaner did work marginally better than the clay, but still an exhausting task to get even half the tar spots off of just one side of my car. Not to mention the effect of the brake cleaner fumes, even when using outside. I am just going to rest a few days, use the clay to get a smooth finish that will just include spots of tar, and then will wax it with the meguaires synthetic liquid wax. Maybe a little more of the tar will come off after being clayed and then waxed. But at tbis point I just don't care any more.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Sorry to hear. Those deposits must be baked on there pretty hard. A paper towel soaked with CRC aerosol brake cleaner always does the job for me in a jiffy.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Finally done with all the bug and tar removal. Between the pitiful bug and tar remover, brake cleaner, detailing clay, a lot of elbow grease one body panel at a time, I finally got about 95% of the tar and bugs off. FInished off with synthetic was/polish. Will be interesting to see if this wax lasts longer than the natural wax.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts