Impala Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all I was wondering if anyone was familiar with this motor. I had recently bought one and I was thinkin about droppin it in my 85 2 door caprice.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Very under rated back in its day.
Good bore to stroke ratio too.

Weak link was the oil pump.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Consider the tonnage that most of these engines had to pull and its easy to see why people didn't think too much of them. My dad had one in '72 Buick Estate wagon (basically an Electra 225 made into a wagon with the heavy retracting clamshell rear gate/window) and the performance was not too outstanding.

The 455 had a couple of performance "Stage" options when they were in the Skylark and Cutlass(?) bodies and made some pretty decent power. If you go through with putting one in your car, I would like into some performance options.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I'll give you an update. I did some research and found out that if you get a '73 455, the oiling problems were fixed, but they dropped the compression ratio. So I got new pistons from TAperformance, to make it 10:1. The engine's at the machine shop right now. I also found a complete fuel injection system from a company called Mass-Flo, its a self tuning system just like many of the cars today. When I get some money, that's what I'm gonna buy next.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Seach for Kenne-Bell products too.
Best looking valve covers.
Spend most of your money on the heads, bigger valves with multi-angle seats.
Learn to port them yourself, as this is labor intensive = expensive.
Offy even makes a dual-quad intake for this engine.
I also remember valve seals were weak, get the teflon ringed type.
And the 455 Buick weighs in close to a 350 Chevy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
can you say torque?:tongue:

another weak spot is the heads crack on top near the rocker mounts and the aftermarket is a little sparse for them, theres poston, t/a, and old kenne bell stuff. not much else.

definitely a cool project:thumbsup:

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going to stick with the stock heads temporarily till I have enough money to get a set from T/A Performance. The only real problem I'm going to have is the body parts. Its tough to find stuff for a 2 door caprice.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
**Buick 455s weigh 616 lbs total - less a few minor pieces but including all operating components. Other engines are Chevy 454 @ 719 lbs, Pontiac [email protected] 636 and Olds [email protected] 655.

Stage 1 was rated at 360 hp 510 ftlbs. HP was like most HiPerf cars back then...under rated to say the least. The only difference in the heads was bigger valves & better springs. The cp ratio was up's almost 4 pt's. which you probably can't match today.

One of the fastest cars in my town growing up in the early '70's was a Stage 1 GS...although alot of guy's gave Donnie crap for driving a Buick..very few would line up to race him.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
**One of the fastest cars in my town growing up in the early '70's was a Stage 1 GS...although alot of guy's gave Donnie crap for driving a Buick..very few would line up to race him.
Nice, the motor I got was a 73' 455, so the compression was way lower, so when I put the pistons from T/A in, it upped it back up to 10:1. And with the other mods, like multiport fuel injection, and a bigger cam, I'm hoping to push a bit more than the stage one.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I don't know how much more tq you will get, 510 is big as is, and the hp was under rated for insurance purposes back then. T/A seems to have everything you will need to make some pretty decent power...good luck.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree, but my motor is not a stage 1, since its out of a '73 they killed that motor for emissions, but fixed all the oiling issues. But I'll get what I get, no biggie

·
Registered
21 Posts
put one of those in my friends 3rd gen camaro.his was a 73 455 , bored 30 over, we put 430 heads on it, (up goes the compression) with stage1 valves, mild comp cam and edelbrock intake and 750 carb,hei, on stock ex manifolds and dual exhaust,running through a th 400,2:73 rear and at 35-40 a downshift would smoke the tires until you let off. massive torque!!!!also massive price for parts!!!!!

:3gears:

·
Registered
16 Posts
i'm guessing you're using a th350 or 400? any highway cruising? with the torque the 455 makes you don't need much gear so i'd say in the area of 3.08 would be ok. drive it and see how it feels off the line. what rear is in the car? not a 7.5 i hope.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts