Impala Forums banner

41 - 60 of 509 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Can you give me a quick walk through of how you went about painting them. Obviously you sanded them down and all before painting them. But about how many coats of paint and Gloss did you use. And what kind if paint works best? I love the red it looks tight on your car, but my imp is black so I think I'm just gonna paint mine black.

Thanks.

·
Breathe Easy
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Can you give me a quick walk through of how you went about painting them. Obviously you sanded them down and all before painting them. But about how many coats of paint and Gloss did you use. And what kind if paint works best? I love the red it looks tight on your car, but my imp is black so I think I'm just gonna paint mine black.

Thanks.
Yeah I can help you out. If you have any further questions or you think one of my directions isn't working, you can also ask Impala2007. He gave me these directions originally.

Here's exactly what I did:

Wash everything off with water and dish soap
Dry everything and then sand down with 2000 grit sand paper
Masked everything off
Used 2 coats of Duplicolor adhesion promoter
Used 3 coats of Duplicolor white sandable primer
Used 4 coats of Duplicolor Perfect Match Victory Red paint (you obviously choose whatever color is applicable to what you want)
Used 4-5 coats of Duplicolor high closs cear coat

I chose not to buff immediately afterwards, if you do, it will give you a more glossy finish, but I thought mine looked good so I left it alone. To each his own. :eek:k3:

I also removed my Impala emblem in the passenger side dash and plastidipped it black, I'd recommend removing it even if you're not going to paint it prior to painting everything else. You can use an Exactoknife or any other precision knife to remove it, but be very careful. After all is dry you can superglue it back in, but be very careful with the glue, mine got messy as you can see above lol.

Hope this helped, man!

·
Breathe Easy
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Thanks! Yeah warm around here is like 40. The winter was so cold that 40 feels like 70. :lol:

Do you often come down to Bloomington/Normal?

·
Super Moderator
22,815 Posts
I hear it's supposed to be 50s/60s soon down there. I occasionally do. Depends if I drive home/back on 74-55 or on 39 which I usually do to avoid traffic. Went 74 this time to pick up deep dish pizza on my way home. haha

·
Breathe Easy
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I hear it's supposed to be 50s/60s soon down there. I occasionally do. Depends if I drive home/back on 74-55 or on 39 which I usually do to avoid traffic. Went 74 this time to pick up deep dish pizza on my way home. haha
Yeah yesterday it was in the 50s and today it was only in the 20s. Lol. Im ready for the warm weather to come so I can cruise with the windows down.
But yeah youll likely see me eventually, I take every excuse I can get to drive on the interstate haha.

·
Breathe Easy
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Hey all. I've also posted this in the "Wheels and Tires" section, just in case people saw it there, and not here. My '09 Impala is in Victory Red, and I have 16" alloys, and I'm looking to upgrade for the summer, but I haven't seen any aftermarket rims I like that go with my Impy's color. I've recently looked at the 8th-gen SS wheels, and I've actually kinda liked them. Can I get some other opinions on the SS wheels and/or some suggestions for potential aftermarket choices?

Here's my current wheels:

And here are the SS ones and how they'd look with my color:

·
Breathe Easy
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
March 25th, 2014:

Small update for today. I painted my front bowtie to match the car color with the remaining paint I had from the interior project.

Also cleaned up the red interior and good loose paint off of the vent knobs. Touched up some of the super glue mess, and it looks a lot better. Don't have any pics of that right now.

Currently, the mechanics and I are trying desperately to figure out the popping/grinding/clunking issue that occurs while turning and going over bumps. We replaced both strut assemblies, the intermediate steering shaft, and we even tried another re-manufactured rack and pinion assembly (which was under warranty). They believe the re-manufactured one is also defective, so that might be what is causing the clunk, however, they are not 100% sure. Either way, we will be going with an OEM replacement, rather than a re-man, this time. The mechanics will have the Impy all day tomorrow trying to figure out the clunk.

It's a mess right now lol.

·
Super Moderator
18,469 Posts
Good luck with that Bud! Hope they can finally fix that!!! :hope::hope:

·
Breathe Easy
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
March 27th, 2014:

After over a month of searching for the clunking/popping/grinding noise in the front end, after warrantying the rack and pinion twice, replacing the strut assemblies and the intermediate steering shaft, we finally found it. It was an engine mount that had oil on it, which had eaten away at it, causing it to clunk around whenever the car turned or went over bumps.

As for how the mount got all that oil on it, we don't know. Nothing in the engine indicated a leak. Everything looked normal.

Can't believe we went through all that lol. Just glad my baby is healthy again!

·
Super Moderator
18,469 Posts
DAYUM!!! All that work for a mount?!?! :bang: Well, at least she's back up & running! Glad to hear that!! :beer:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey all. I've also posted this in the "Wheels and Tires" section, just in case people saw it there, and not here. My '09 Impala is in Victory Red, and I have 16" alloys, and I'm looking to upgrade for the summer, but I haven't seen any aftermarket rims I like that go with my Impy's color. I've recently looked at the 8th-gen SS wheels, and I've actually kinda liked them. Can I get some other opinions on the SS wheels and/or some suggestions for potential aftermarket choices?

Here's my current wheels:

And here are the SS ones and how they'd look with my color:

Rimulator : Wheel and Tire Packages - Rim and tire financing just got easier! View wheels on your vehicle and finance rims online it 3 easy steps! that way you can try rims on the car and see what they will look like. i looked all over for ss wheels people ask alot for them so for me i just went with aftermarket

·
Breathe Easy
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
April 13th, 2014:

Been really busy lately. But fortunately, next weekend is gonna be fun! I'm gonna be having an engine bay detail, as well as painting my engine cover and dipping my grilles!

Here's some small work I did recently:

Cleaned up loose paint from vent knobs

Removed and stripped off plastidip and superglue from dash Impala emblem, as well as touched up chipping from when it was popped out. This time, I actually painted it black and just popped it back in, rather than supergluing it.

And finally, removed my engine cover and gave it a good dish soap wash! All ready for painting next weekend!

She's also ready for grille dipping!

·
No TreadSS Left
1,192 Posts
As a owner of the SS rims your talking about, I am not a fan. They have a like plastic coating on them, that will come off. They are made of aluminum and the rim shrinks and expands a lot. I live in Michigan with the harsh winters and pot holes, mine looked like crap in no time. And if your have the air pressure gauges, they are always out of calibration if its hot or cold out. They are a pain. I painted mine black and like them better now. But cant wait for some rims.

·
Breathe Easy
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
By the way, who do you start a new thread? I would like to keep the progress of mine up in one thread now that I have a color theme.
Thanks for your input on the wheels, and there's a "New Thread" button on the top left of the forum page, bro. :wink:

41 - 60 of 509 Posts