Impala Forums banner

21 - 40 of 509 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
March 2nd, 2014:

Rack and pinion being replaced....again.
Thankfully it's all still under warranty.
Popping/clunking sound while turning and in motion is still there. Could be either the right front tie rod end, the sway bar link, the struts/mounts, or the rack and pinion that is leaking. What a mystery... :bang:

On the bright side, I've got most of the supplies for the wood grain paint project next weekend! Just a few more things to get. Also ordered a couple emblems. It's gonna be a fun job!

Good luck. Make sure you spend a lot of time on the prep work. It's harder than it looks. Just take your time with it. Should come out good. You doing the peices on the door too ?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Well that's good that it was under warranty
Look forward to seeing ur ride when she's good and going

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
I like the progress, good and clean!

Reactions: Bud54

·
Breathe Easy
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Impala2007: Yes, I am going to give those pieces a go! I have someone who has experience with automotive painting helping me as well, so I'm hoping that gives me an advantage with this.

Don: I don't believe that's it, I haven't heard that term thrown around at all when speaking with the mechanics. I've heard struts and bushings, the rack (which is leaking), sway bar links, and my right front tie rod end which has a little play to it. The pop feels like it's coming from the suspension or at least something further away from me in the front end. I can usually slightly feel the pop in my foot. Why do you ask about the ISS?

·
Super Moderator
22,815 Posts
The ISS tends to be a common issue with Impalas. When turning the wheel, it makes a loud thunking and as it wears the steering becomes loose and easily manipulated by bumps. Not saying that is the cause, as it sounds like there's more at play, but something to consider if those symptoms fit.

·
Breathe Easy
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The ISS tends to be a common issue with Impalas. When turning the wheel, it makes a loud thunking and as it wears the steering becomes loose and easily manipulated by bumps. Not saying that is the cause, as it sounds like there's more at play, but something to consider if those symptoms fit.
I see what you're saying. The noise happens almost every time i turn the wheel while in motion, but it also tends to happen when going over bumps. So it's a tough call. :dunno:

·
Super Moderator
18,501 Posts
I see what you're saying. The noise happens almost every time i turn the wheel while in motion, but it also tends to happen when going over bumps. So it's a tough call. :dunno:
Then it could be all those together. I had to get a plastic bearing that went on the steering shaft just under the dash. That and I had the shaft....replaced I think. It's been a while. She steered like a new car after I had that done!

·
Breathe Easy
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Then it could be all those together. I had to get a plastic bearing that went on the steering shaft just under the dash. That and I had the shaft....replaced I think. It's been a while. She steered like a new car after I had that done!
Yeah i gotcha! Well when they replace the rack and pinion I'll ask if they can take a look at the ISS to see if there's anything wrong.

·
Registered
70 Posts
lookin sharp man! Did you replace the map lights as well? I'd like to know where to get a set of blue ones for mine.

·
Breathe Easy
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
lookin sharp man! Did you replace the map lights as well? I'd like to know where to get a set of blue ones for mine.
Nope, I left the map lights and the other two dome lights as they are, because, if someone feels the need to press them, odds are they actually need good illumination lol. But go to CARiD.com, they have all sorts of interior lights by this brand called Lumen. They're really nice.

·
Breathe Easy
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
March 9th, 2014:

The wood grain painting is going really well! Did the radio bezel, the center console surround, and the entire dash today! They're all done and drying back at the shop! They all look really good, with the exception of a small blemish on the dash, as during a coat, I had to switch to a new can, and (figures that this would be the can I didn't test on the cardboard before shooting) it spit watery paint all over. I managed to blend most of it in, but one little spot is still bumpy. I decided to just leave it, as everything else looks good. I'll be doing the door panel pieces tomorrow, and I'll post some pics tomorrow as well!

·
Breathe Easy
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
March 9th, 2014:

The paint project is almost done! The dash, radio bezel, and shifter surround are all back on! All turned out great, with the exception of a mess of super glue around the Impala emblem on the passenger side dash. While I was applying the glue, it just kept coming out of the nozzle and wouldn't stop, so I managed to get the emblem on, with some minor chunks of super glue still visible. Other than that, it turned out pretty nice! The door panels are still drying, and should be back on the car tonight!

Now for pics!

Taken during painting

The finished product on the car!

This is the emblem, you can see where the super glue got all over... :bang:

And finally, the door panels drying at the shop!

Feel free to tell me what you guys think!

·
Go Get It
15,065 Posts
Looks good! A good buff will really make it stand out :eek:k3:

Reactions: Bud54

·
Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
It's actually a different radio than you and I have. The clock on the base-level radio (without MP3 and some other capabilities) has a clock that is centered...

21 - 40 of 509 Posts