Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an 09 Impala back in August with around 130k miles on it..
I even made a thread on here when I first got it http://www.impalaforums.com/automotive-discussion/329301-did-i-make-a-horrible-decision.html

When I first got it one of the problems that I had was the "Service Tire Monitor System" which left me with the with a blank reading on my left rear tire.. The issue would only pop up when on the highway for over 15 minutes..

While that issue was popping up, I also got an "ABS warning message" come on and then after that I believe I seen a "reduced engine power" warning come on.

So I took it in and they fixed it for free (out of warranty)... They claimed it was a bad bearing I believe, Ill call them tomorrow to confirm what the issue was.

Well last night on the highway the Service tire monitor system light came on, then 3 hours later when I started the car back up (19 degrees out lol) the Traction control light came on, THEN the reduced engine power...

I scared to drive it and Im broke and in college lol... So Idk what to do from here, I highly doubt theyll work on it again for free

So whats everyones opinion on what I could or should do

·
Registered
126 Posts
My only experience has been the "service tire monitor" with one tire not showing pressure generally means the transducer is failing due to internal connection or internal battery, and needs replaced. Best price I have found for this was $50 with a new unit installed where I usually purchase tires.

For the other issues of reduced power, not sure. ABS issues are also PROBABLY the sensor, sometimes integral with the bearings, but not sure. Someone else here can help you better there. I have had connectors fail to the sensors on other GM cars.

·
Super Moderator
10,950 Posts
You may have a couple different things going on here.
The tire monitoring system may just be a bad battery in a sensor. Try a re-learn of their positions. This will ensure that the LR tire that is falling off is in fact at the LR and not someplace else. The re-learn is pretty easy. If the tires were ever rotated without re-learn who knows what's were?
As for the other warnings did the dealership hook up a scanner and get the fault codes ? What were they ? Did they get the correct bearing ?
I have no suggestion for the reduced engine power reading but perhaps someone else on here will.
That being said, was the car actually in "reduced power mode" or did you just get the warning ?

Paul

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Reduced engine power message and traction control off are probably due to the same issue. Get the codes read and let us know what they are, but if you have a P2135 code like I suspect, you'll have to replace the throttle body. $300 part, but at least it's so easy to change that my grandmother could do it.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Chi_bears,

How long ago was your concern looked at? How many miles did you have on the vehicle then compared to now? Keep me and Katie posted with your progress. Feel free to reach out if you need additional assistance. Thank you.

Tricia, Chevrolet Customer Service (Assisting Katie).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts