Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any suggestion on better pads/rotors for these new cars? I am wondering if anybody has replaced their brakes yet, and if they have used aftermarket parts? The stock brakes seem to work ok, but they have the usual mushy GM pedal feel.

·
Registered
894 Posts
how much better do you want. i have 31K on the car and during inspection they said they show no signs of wear at 12/32 still. impressive!

·
Registered
894 Posts
unsure what we have but whatever it is, I want more! cleaning these wheels is sooo much easier than my old SS. little water and the brush and done.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I did the police upgrade on our 12 and really liked the results. With the 20's on our 16 there is so much room for larger brakes that it is a shame not to take advantage of it. The factory brakes aren't bad. But after driving a few BMW's, it is really nice having the great stopping response that those big brakes give you.

IMO, Chevy has an outstanding car here that would just need a few things to gobble up some European car drivers. Bigger better brakes. An optional AWD platform. And an optional forced induction package. These could add considerable cost to the cars, but they would be competing with more expensive cars as well. Frankly, the Malibu would be a pretty good package as well for the smaller car market.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I will beg to differ! Our 14 Impala and 14 Silverado will put into the windshield. My 04 Alero with 8500 miles total takes more time to stop and it's the lightest vehicle we have. Brakes were decent to not so good and I hear they were like an eraser.

My 1970 Cutlass with power disc/drum with organics, take a while to stop but that stands to reason.

Pat

·
Registered
14 Posts
Does anyone have any suggestion on better pads/rotors for these new cars? I am wondering if anybody has replaced their brakes yet, and if they have used aftermarket parts? The stock brakes seem to work ok, but they have the usual mushy GM pedal feel.

This is what I put on my car and they fit perfect and perform way better than stock. You get all 4 rotors, drilled and slotted, plus pads. Rotors are zink plated so they don't rust. Only bare metal is where the pad contacts the rotor and wears the zink off.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/122356405307

·
Registered
287 Posts
The original FNC treated rotors are excellent. The pads are ceramic. The OE pad is quite good when treated well. rust build up and contaminants really kill them

As far as aftermarket pads go I run and recommend Hawk HPS on all my cars. Excellent initial bite but not grabby, better fade resistance then pretty much any stock GM floating caliper pad, and they dust a very light grey usually. easy to clean.

I prefer the stock rotors on this car, like i said, I think they are excellent. I mean original GM rotors, not ACDelco advantage or anything.

If I was to go aftermarket, Id recommend Raybestos Advanced technology, or Centric High Carbon rotors(Centric or StopTech rotors that start with 125 or 126 as the part number)

You dont need and shouldnt get drilled rotors IMO. street cars dont need drilled rotors, modern pads are very good and dont need the holes, and Id rather have the extra mass than some holes. Brake rotors are heat sinks, drilling holes in them rarely makes them MORE effective. Id consider slotted rotors only if it was the only way to a high quality high carbon or non-Chinese rotor

If your brake pedal is mushy, youve probably got air buildup in the system. A thorough flush/bleed of the system will likely give excellent results. Use a pressure bleeder, youre going to want to get about 6oz or more of fluid out of each bleeder, doing this manually will SUCK

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have been doing some digging around. I think there is a caliper that should swap on from GMs parts pin. 4 piston Brembos versus our shitty one piston.......those and some fresh rotors should be the ticket.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have been doing some digging around. I think there is a caliper that should swap on from GMs parts pin. 4 piston Brembos versus our shitty one piston.......those and some fresh rotors should be the ticket.
There isnt one that swaps on with no mods or other part changes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
An adapter is easy for me. I have a full CNC shop. The ATS with the heavy duty brake package has the same size front rotors, but with the 4 piston brembos.....Along with a few other GM "redline" or performace models. If guys are throwing the ATS/CTS-v 4 pistons on Subarus's etc, I don't see why they cant be put on another GM product.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
An adapter is easy for me. I have a full CNC shop. The ATS with the heavy duty brake package has the same size front rotors, but with the 4 piston brembos.....Along with a few other GM "redline" or performace models. If guys are throwing the ATS/CTS-v 4 pistons on Subarus's etc, I don't see why they cant be put on another GM product.
cadillac brakes on an 8th gen have been done (i've seen an article on it in the brake section perhaps). normally on the 8th gens everyone goes with the police package upgrades (about a 1" larger rotor, keep in mind rim clearance when going bigger).

as for 9th gen, i've not seen many or any complaints on braking performance per these forums. not to say it couldn't be made better, just haven't seen any information pointing to upgrades made easy through existing GM parts.

·
Registered
287 Posts
never said they couldnt, but why would you want the ATS/CT6/CTS brakes? its just a fixed caliper compared to our sliding. No real upgrade in performance. No appreciable difference in pad size, reduced wheel fitment when using. Just a change for the sake of change

Id be going with something like a Wilwood FNSL6R in 4.04" area piston(for a higher effort pedal feel) clamping a 365mm BMW E92 rotor, or better yet a full on Alcon MONO6 setup for the 3series. (same bolt pattern for rotor, just need a centering ring, and same exact piston area as our stock caliper)

Or you could go cheap and just put some Camaro SS 345mm rotors and calipers and and even get Chevrolet branded calipers. Even cheaper still just rock some Caprice 345mm rotors and calipers, they fit inside stock 18" alloys based on my testing

·
Registered
20 Posts
never said they couldnt, but why would you want the ATS/CT6/CTS brakes? its just a fixed caliper compared to our sliding. No real upgrade in performance. No appreciable difference in pad size, reduced wheel fitment when using. Just a change for the sake of change

Id be going with something like a Wilwood FNSL6R in 4.04" area piston(for a higher effort pedal feel) clamping a 365mm BMW E92 rotor, or better yet a full on Alcon MONO6 setup for the 3series. (same bolt pattern for rotor, just need a centering ring, and same exact piston area as our stock caliper)

Or you could go cheap and just put some Camaro SS 345mm rotors and calipers and and even get Chevrolet branded calipers. Even cheaper still just rock some Caprice 345mm rotors and calipers, they fit inside stock 18" alloys based on my testing

The ATS with the heavy duty brakes and the Older CTS-V uses a 4 piston Brembo caliper. Adding a larger rotor adds more unsprung weight, and I think it will be more effective if we were able to add to the piston area. Are you saying the stock 10th gen Impala's single piston front caliper is equal in performance if not better? Not being sarcastic, I am looking for a real answer.

My car has 22" wheels so my only concern is the stock wheels for the winter, but considering the ATS and CTS-v both came on 18 wheels with this brake setup I think I will be fine.

I could go with the larger rotor combo to go along with the upgraded rotors.....but I was just pointing to something that could possibly work with the stock rotors keeping the cost down. You can get the calipers pins, and pads for about $250-300 from ebay or Amazon.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Yes, adding a larger rotor adds unsprung weight, and the difference between a 321mm stock rotor and a 345mm Caprice rotor is about 3-1/2lbs.

On a race car that could be significant, it might also even be an issue if it was that much of a variance from one side of car to the other. But only if you had an incredibly well calibrated butt chassis dyno and drove the hell out your car, Most people have such numb hands and ass that they can't even tell an underinflated tire, never mind 3.5 pounds of additional unsprung weight.

And of course since virtually no one shops for tires by weight, the fact that your unsprung corner weights could vary by well over 3lbs just by a tire change negates this issue as a reason to justify going with a smaller rotor.

That benefit of the extra weight of the 345mm rotor gives a larger "lever" for the brakes to act on, larger swept area, a larger pad, and additional mass to dissipate heat.

Adding caliper piston area will increase pedal travel and reduce pedal feel. In other words you will get the same brake pad force with less pedal force, but with longer pedal travel. I don't consider increased piston area an upgrade. You may if you like long, soft pedals.

Of note, switching to a 4 piston caliper does not necessarily increase caliper piston area... The ATS 42mm pistons arranged in opposed pairs actually equates to slight LESS piston area than the stock 60mm single floating piston in the Impala. (4.31"² vs 4.37"², less than 2% variance). 4 piston calipers don't apply more force just because they have more pistons. Compared to a sliding caliper of the same area, any difference in performance comes from increased rigidity of the caliper. We've got serious cast iron caliper, they don't suffer the same flex as a floating alum caliper does. I have no reason to believe there would be a performance advantage resulting from a fixed caliper.

345mm rotors fit in stock 18's. This car should have had the 345s stock, not the medium car 321s.

Dropping $300 on an ATS caliper setup is a waste of money and time for any potential fabrication, from a performance upgrade point in my opinion. A simple pad change with a well researched performance pad upgrade will change the way your brakes perform and feel.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Ok. Thanks for the input. How about using the larger rotors and stock calipers? That should just take a very simple bracket tp space the caliper away the needed distance.
thats a viable and worthwhile upgrade assuming the stock caliper and bracket will properly engage a 345mm diamter rotor. The Caprice uses a different caliper than the Impala even though the caliper design, material, and piston size is the same. This leads me to believe the Impala/Malibu/Equinox/LaCrosse/Etc... caliper will not mate with the 345mm rotor due to the caliper's internal radius, or the pad shape the caliper uses. (The caliper bracket IS definitely different) Which is a real shame because theres a larger selection of performance/upgraded brake pads for that pad shape.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts