Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2001 impala...in the morining when i first turn the car on the brakes work fine but as soon as the car warms the brakes get tighter and the car starts to slowdown because the brakes are not releasing, and you can smell the brake pads in the front burning up.....what can i do to fix this?

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Is this an LS or base model? Could just be a sticky brake caliper. If you let off the steering wheel does it pull to one side or the other?

·
Super Moderator
10,950 Posts
My bet is that the small check ball in the bottom of the master cylinder is stuck or sticking. This allows for the fluid to move back and forth between the bake lines and the master as it gets hot and expands. Try replacing all the brake fluid with clean stuff and flushing out the system first. I had run across this a number of years ago and fell on this problem strictly by accident. The car that had the issue was doing exactly what you said. That car however would eventually just stop and not move. Once cooled down it was fine. I changed the fluid with clean new stuff and it was fine.
May be more involved in this case but that is where I would start.

Paul

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
^^ Agreed but, if it has abs (LS) this requires a tech II scanner in order to open the abs module valves to clean the entire system out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its an LS...at first I thought it was the caliper so I replaced it but it was still doing the same thing but then i noticed the discoloration of the fluid...(( very dark ))...so I flushed the old fluid n put fresh fluid...DOT 4...and now it works great...problem solved...thanks guys

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
^^ No problem. The LS's brake system and abs suffer from dirty brake fluid. In rare cases dirty brake fluid can kill the seals in the abs brake module valves. Brake fluid should be flushed and replaced every 80-100k miles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts