Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
getting push back sometimes from the brake pedal? this happened a few times should i get it checked out? getting ABS service light sometimes (randomly) also traction control gets activated randomly as well.

also only happens when going slow the above symptoms

·
Registered
285 Posts
Push Back?

Personally I would need to understand what you mean by push back? Do you mean pullsating on your brake pedal? That is really the only push back you can get. That is usually caused by rotors that are warped ( outside the factory spec. ) This can cause you to need to pump your brakes also to feel a strong brake presence while pushing on the brakes. What happens is as the wheel turns the rotor being out of true pushes the brake pads back against the caliper piston. This can cause everyting from air into the system to spungy brakes. If you have the tools ( and you can get a very inexspensive tool for about 80 bucks that you can clamp onto your susupension with the tire off and the dial indicator set on you rotor and set to Zero, rotate you rotor and see how much run out you have ) this will tell you if that is the problem. Often this is exactly what happens. Yours may be different, there are always other reasons why this can happen, however usually it's brake rotors out of or exceeding factory specs.

Jeff

·
Banned
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
ok when I push the pedal it feels hard to push for about 1 or 2 seconds this happens only at lower speeds it always happens when I am in the post office parking lot (just like when you push it when the car is off it feels like that.)

it does not seem to effect the braking power though. it's just I have to press a little harder.

I think the front rotors are toast since they are not smooth. they feel like it has groves in them like a phonograph record

rears are smooth ( rear driver side starting to have the same issue. rear passenger side is 100% perfectly smooth though.)

ugh flat broke too only got $65. :( guess I'll have to wait to get this fixed and leave it in the drive way

I'm just going to get all 4 replaced even the brake pads as well as they might be damaged as well..

probably going to cost me 500$ ouch!

Willing to bet it may have pebbles stuck in it. :(

·
Banned
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
is this the correct ones?

Eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping

ACDelco 18A813A Advantage Front Brake Rotor x2
ACDelco 18A811A Advantage Rear Brake Rotor x2
ACDelco 14D818CH Advantage Front Ceramic Disc Brake Pad Set x1
ACDelco 14D698C Advantage Rear Ceramic Disc Brake Pad Set x1
Subtotal: $153.18
sales tax 15.00
Total: 168.xx

·
Registered
954 Posts
I see you prefer the DIY approach, Anonymous, so I just wanted to hop on this thread quickly to let you know I'm available for further assistance if you ever do decide to involve your dealership. Please feel free to send me a private message anytime you have vehicle questions/concerns.

Best,

Katie
Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Banned
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I see you prefer the DIY approach, Anonymous, so I just wanted to hop on this thread quickly to let you know I'm available for further assistance if you ever do decide to involve your dealership. Please feel free to send me a private message anytime you have vehicle questions/concerns.

Best,

Katie
Chevrolet Customer Service
Wheel Hub speed sensor is not working properly
ACDelco FW293 Wheel Hub Assembly

Surely it got damaged when the wheel well tore it self apart. :(

or got misaligned

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
I believe the hubs are NON serviceable which, means replacing the whole hub. First I would start by inspecting all abs harnesses for damage. The front ones have a design flaw and might be the suspect. I would also apply dielectric grease to all harness connectors to keep moisture out. If you don't have any unusual brake noise then DONT start replacing your brakes in hope it fixes it. You are likely having an abs issue as you stated they kick in at random. If problem persists call around to local advance auto's or autozones. Some of them have an "abs capable" obd scanners which, will pinpoint the problem.

·
Banned
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe the hubs are NON serviceable which, means replacing the whole hub. First I would start by inspecting all abs harnesses for damage. The front ones have a design flaw and might be the suspect. I would also apply dielectric grease to all harness connectors to keep moisture out. If you don't have any unusual brake noise then DONT start replacing your brakes in hope it fixes it. You are likely having an abs issue as you stated they kick in at random. If problem persists call around to local advance auto's or autozones. Some of them have an "abs capable" obd scanners which, will pinpoint the problem.
Yes I had the code checked it was the front Passenger side.
This is the side the wheel well tore it self apart. (that is when it started happing )
Played with it and now turns the ABS led on on every time I do a right turn or instantly .. It was intermittent before I touched it.

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
Check harness sounds like you might need a new one

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Check harness sounds like you might need a new one
Agree it def sounds like a cracked wire in the harness. These front harnesses have problems. GM wrapped the wires inside of the looming with electrical tape which causes binding at the hold down clips. They also made the harnesses too short. I replaced mine not too long ago with ones from rockauto. You have to splice them in. I soldered the connections then, did 3+ coats of liquid tape on them. Then wrapped connections in electrical tape.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Thank god my impala didn't come with ABS.
ABS can kinda be a PITA sometimes but, it can save your life if you don't know how to properly "feather" your brakes in harsh conditions. A lot of people just slam on the brakes on ice when they freak out which, is the worst thing to do. ABS prevents locking up IF it is working properly. It's all about preventative maintenance. Anything will degrade or perform horrible without maint :eek:k3:

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Every GM car or truck I have ever driven with ABS, its done more harm than good. The system doesn't work, it senses one wheel slipping, so it decides that the other 3 wheels should roll... wtf? I can't tell you how many close calls I had in my dads old suburban from that, I like to step on the brake and have the damn thing just stop.

·
Banned
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Every GM car or truck I have ever driven with ABS, its done more harm than good. The system doesn't work, it senses one wheel slipping, so it decides that the other 3 wheels should roll... wtf? I can't tell you how many close calls I had in my dads old suburban from that, I like to step on the brake and have the damn thing just stop.
The ABS did save my ass I the I215 was going 75-80mph when the road conditions suddenly changed. The pavement started controlling the steering (shallow pot holes were catching the outside of the tires)
started fishtailing & almost lost it. I think without the ABS I would have spun out.

there is another spot locally were this happens also..

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Or... Pulse the brakes. This can be done by drivers with experience with the same results as the over complicated and expensive (for repairs) abs.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Or people can actually learn how to drive and not rely on a car to keep them from crashing.
Agreed but, in those rare occasions even a good driver would wish they had abs :eek:k3:

·
Designated Driver
4,516 Posts
Agreed but, in those rare occasions even a good driver would wish they had abs :eek:k3:
Even though it goes against everything you think you know, and everything that seems to make sense.
Pumping the brakes (fast off and right back on) is the safest way to "panic" brake!
I've been there!
If you've been close to wrecking; you know everything turns into the Matrix slow mo up until you either save it, or hit something.
I've had the thought like this before: "I'm tryng to STOP. I can't let OFF the brakes for a split second? That won't help me STOP!!!"

When it comes time to do it... DO IT!!!
I HATE ABS! :devil:

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Even though it goes against everything you think you know, and everything that seems to make sense.
Pumping the brakes (fast off and right back on) is the safest way to "panic" brake!
I've been there!
If you've been close to wrecking; you know everything turns into the Matrix slow mo up until you either save it, or hit something.
I've had the thought like this before: "I'm tryng to STOP. I can't let OFF the brakes for a split second? That won't help me STOP!!!"

When it comes time to do it... DO IT!!!
I HATE ABS! :devil:
I also agree :eek:k3: You just have to make yourself do it. And learning to feather or pump it without letting abs kick in is a PITA. For those of us who are "good" drivers abs just makes it worse. But, if you are under the influence (not that I ever have) your best instincts go out the window. So, yes abs can save your ass even if you "think" your a good driver. There is always a time when someone will panic and lock the brakes up.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts