Impala Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I got my front brakes and rotors done on my 2009 Impala 3.5L at an independent shop a couple months ago. Since then I've driven about 750 miles. My problem occurs when I gently lift my foot off the brake, like when I'm inching forward in traffic or moving up in a parking spot, and it sounds like a vibration/creaking noise coming from the front end. It happens regardless if the car is cold or hot, and the noise is only there when I barely lift my foot off the brake from a dead stop. Before I had the brakes done, this was not an issue, and it has gotten quieter as I've driven, but after 700 miles I feel like it shouldn't be an issue. I believe I bedded the brake pads in properly, but living in such a congested area it's hard to find suitable roads to do this. Perhaps the backs of the pads weren't greased properly or the slide pins weren't either? I believe the shop used Wagner Perfect Stop pads, I assume the rotors might be of the same brand.

It doesn't really bother me too much and doesn't take away from the the braking power (I've heard other vehicles have brake chatter, too) but like all noises - they irritate the crap out of me! I only have a ratchet set, so I can't regrease them myself and would have to take it somewhere. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

-Cameron

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, brakes use friction to stop. The noise you are describing is the pads moving on the rotor before the brakes have been completely let off.
Regreasing wouldn't fix this because you can't grease the braking surface.
I've had this problem before but only when the brakes were wet or the engine was cold and idling a little higher than normal.
Perhaps because they are new they are making this noise.
Does it change when the brakes are hot or cold?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, brakes use friction to stop. The noise you are describing is the pads moving on the rotor before the brakes have been completely let off.
Regreasing wouldn't fix this because you can't grease the braking surface.
I've had this problem before but only when the brakes were wet or the engine was cold and idling a little higher than normal.
Perhaps because they are new they are making this noise.
Does it change when the brakes are hot or cold?
Hmm maybe it's just the brand of pads and rotors. The sound doesn't change whether the brakes are hot or cold. Admittedly, it is louder when they are cold, but it's not much quieter when they are warmed up. I've never had brakes that took this long to eliminate all of their noise. Are your pads and rotors OEM or do you have a brand that you really like and stick to for the Impala?

Thanks for the reply!

-Cameron

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Sure thing!
My pads and rotors are GM OEM police spec.
I haven't heard bad things about Wagner but I haven't used them on the Impalas either.
However I have heard good things about Raybestos and Centric rotors.
There's a great article by a vendor on here, Overkill Motorsports, that deals somewhat with this.
http://getoverkilled.ca/wbodytech.html
He covers brakes halfway down the page. This is the advice I followed when I did my brakes.
I would say to wait it out a little bit more and if it is really bugging you than go for something different.
Hope this helps a little :)

Reactions: crawlver

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sure thing!
My pads and rotors are GM OEM police spec.
I haven't heard bad things about Wagner but I haven't used them on the Impalas either.
However I have heard good things about Raybestos and Centric rotors.
There's a great article by a vendor on here, Overkill Motorsports, that deals somewhat with this.
:: Overkill Motorsports ::
He covers brakes halfway down the page. This is the advice I followed when I did my brakes.
I would say to wait it out a little bit more and if it is really bugging you than go for something different.
Hope this helps a little :)
Yeah, I'll probably wait a bit more just to get use out of these pads and rotors. I'll look into Raybestos and Centric as well! Thank you very much!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts