Impala Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an 06 impala added to my stable.. One of the brake lines coming off the master cylinder has rusted and sprung a leak.. the other looks like it may go soon as well..

The rest look good thank goodness.. I went ot the local auto parts store and they said they don't sell those lines and didn't offer any alternative..
So what's the recommended solution here? I do have a brake line tool kit.. i was thinking i could make my own lines with a few coils in it.. I noticed the line that i had in stock was smaller than the line on the car.
but i'm here to learn what others recommend..

Also i lubed the line nuts on the proportion valve and let it sit for a day, but I could not loosen the nuts there. I almost feel like i should cut the wrench in half
to make it smaller for more clearance and then use something to extend it like a cheater pole and also get clearance once the line is broke free.. There's probably some
old mechanics tip that will work?.. cut it with a dremel (or line cutting tool) and put a socket on it?

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I noticed the line that i had in stock was smaller than the line on the car. but i'm here to learn what others recommend..
I've seen someone bending and flaring raw tubing once, many years ago. And I've done some pipe fitting and plumbing. But never made my own brake lines. Still, it looks very do-able, given the right tools and materials.

So hit some other parts stores up for raw stock. Get some calipers and take some measurements of the lines you need to replace so you can be sure you're buying the right size(s).

Keep in mind, as they say in woodworking, measure twice, cut once. Or, in my case, measure 15 or 20 times, then hold a tight ### until you know for sure it fits :)

Alternatively, look on the web at the GM parts vendors (eg, gmpartsdirect.com) and see if you can find replacement lines.

Consider going to a junk yard and getting some used parts. I live in the sun belt, so good, un-corroded parts are common here - not sure what's available for you.

Also i lubed the line nuts on the proportion valve and let it sit for a day, but I could not loosen the nuts there. I almost feel like i should cut the wrench in half to make it smaller for more clearance and then use something to extend it like a cheater pole and also get clearance once the line is broke free..
I have several tools like that in my stash, including a line wrench I cut in two, for disconnecting a power steering line. Figure out what size you need, then pick up two at the parts or tool store. If you cut it right, you can take the second one back later, at your leisure :) That is, make sure you don't cut it too short.

I think I've used both a hack saw and a dremel to modify tools this way.

One last thought, in the past, I've used a torch to heat up the compression fittings, to help loosen them. Is that an option for you at the proportioning valve?

Doug

[Edit] I poked around some for parts. For an 06, supply is kind of sketchy. At gmpartsgiant.com , they have some of the parts, but others are listed as discontinued. However, they also have the raw stock, in 20' lengths. So maybe between that and the pieces that are still offered, you can piece together a solution with minimal hand fabrication.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I already have 2 sizes of nicop line but both are too small. I've done brake lines before but not the ones off the master cylinder..
i thought the larger size i had was the largest they make but maybe not.. was hoping someone had a part number or tube size.. couldn't find anything on ebay..or rockauto. i'll check again.. i did think about heating it.. hope it doesn't come to that.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thinki found some cheaper new.. but i think i'm going to buy a roll of 3/8 or 5/16 nicop.. and do it myself.. not sure which to buy yet..

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
^+1. Ni-cop is a little pricey, but the ease of working with it and the no-rust factor make it worth it. Sorry, but I don't know the size you need.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts