Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have installed several subs in my past cars. It seems like ported boxes always sound better and louder than sealed when it comes to sedans. You could get a dual 12" slot ported enclosure that would easily fit the trunk. Check sonicelectronix.com

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yes you can buy a prefabbed box but if you want to get the most out of your subs you should have one custom built for the subs your using.
All subs dont use the same air space or port specs, you should have gotten a book with the subs telling you what specs to use when building a box for those subs, if not check their website for the specs
later
Bernie

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
damn...see this is what I get for not checkin this thread. I'm actually considering either doing 2 12" D3s or 4 10" D1s but had to put off the purchase till next month. Currently the only problem I see with the 4 10s is possible wave cancellation, due to the arrangement that I would have to put them in, in order to fit in the trunk.

Anyway, the plan is to port the box into the interior by cutting out the plastic piece behind the armrest, in the back seat, but keep the box sealed, although if I have enough space, I may just go ported.

I'm not worried about power, as the amp I have pushes 1100w RMS @ 4ohms and 1000w RMS @ 1ohm. The 12s are 400RMS each and the 10s are 200RMS each

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok so I got it figured out. I'm going to do 3 12" Diamond Audio 4ohm DVC subs wired to a 2.67ohm load (yes I know its a funny load to put on an amp, but the amp is 2ohm stable). The box will be a custom made, as I do not do prefabbed boxes, forward firing sealed enclosure. The plastic piece behind the armrest will be cut out to act as a port. The box will be sealed off from the remaining area in the trunk and custom facade pieces will be added so that everything looks flush.

It was thought that we would re-do the rear deck lid, but I want the car to look as stock and unassuming as possible. Hopefully the build will start at the end of this month

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
okay, well the install has been completed. took 3 days, but well worth it. Gotta thank Kris and Tony At Teez Extreme MotorSports, in Tacoma, WA (253-582-9215), for the kick ass job done.

3 Diamond Audio 12" D3s running off a JBL BPx1100.1 Crown Amplifier. Kicker 1/0 awg amp wire kit was used, with IXOS RCAs and speaker wire. The box has two slot ports, one on each side, and all firing into the cabin. The port is tuned to 34Hz. They did cut a hole behind the rear arm rest and color match the carpet to the rest of the trunk, with a false floor. The rear tire was removed and the distribution blocks were put in its place, so when I get the money for a 2nd battery, I can put it there so it will be out of sight. Plus I have enough room to mount a 2nd amp if needed.

Absolutely no trunk or trunk wing rattle. The front of the box is sealed off from the rear of the trunk using expanding foam. An embossed Impala emblem is on the false floor.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I forgot to say: Looks great! How's it sound?

Hmm.. I guess things have changed since I was a boomer. Back then, rear firing always gave a better sound. And we -never- ported into the cabin. That's how you get wave cancellation.

How much current is that amp pulling? I doubt it's enough to warrant another battery. You'd have to also buy an isolator (hell, are they even still needed on newer cars?) I'd think a nice big stiffening capacitor would be enough for a 1kW amp.

/my lawn, get off it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I don't use caps. I ported into the cabin so there would be no trunk rattle or the need to by sound deadening material, but the air never hits the 6x9 cones. the amp pushes 1141RMSx1 and pulls about 90amps off the alt. the stock alt is 120-140amps so eventually I will need another one, especially once I mount the 4 channel, since that will take an additional 40 amps, unless i upgrade it to the 600rms 4 channel.

Reason for the 2nd battery is the 2nd amp, new HIDs, new interiors and some other shit.

The overall system sounds great but I'm keepin the volume around 50 (with the bass @ -5 on the deck) to break in the subs (10-15 hours of playing time).

And, no, with this setup I don't experience/have wave cancellation. Its just like the setup I had in my 83 Caprice. No cancellation and much louder than firing towards the rear, but it all depends on the type of car and what kinda sound you're going for.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts