Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just purchased a 1979 Chevy 2 Door Coupe, with rare 3 pc rear glass. But have not seen any other caprice like this anywhere. Everything on the car is original and has a 350 engine in it. VIN # matches from the driver door, to the VIN # showing on the bottom of the windshield. But like I said, before, I have not seen one like this one at all.... ANY HELP??? The first picture is the back of the car, the other is the side. I think it says CROWN COUPE. Im trying to upload a whole pic of the car, but for some reason, I'm not able to. Please Help, thanks.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
18,506 Posts
Just purchased a 1979 Chevy 2 Door Coupe, with rare 3 pc rear glass. But have not seen any other caprice like this anywhere. Everything on the car is original and has a 350 engine in it. VIN # matches from the driver door, to the VIN # showing on the bottom of the windshield. But like I said, before, I have not seen one like this one at all.... ANY HELP??? The first picture is the back of the car, the other is the side. I think it says CROWN COUPE. Im trying to upload a whole pic of the car, but for some reason, I'm not able to. Please Help, thanks.
Welcome to the forum! :beer: I had a 79 Impala years ago. Wish I had pics..... I have looked and looked and cannot find a Chevy called a Crown Coupe! I think that was an aftermarket thing. I have found plenty of Chrysler Imperial Crown Coupes, though.....Maybe someone here can help with that. I LOVE the year, too because of that back window! My Impala had it!:eek:k3:

Hope you can get more PICS SOON!!!!:wink:

Reactions: djkoolem

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the welcome. I know, thats the thing that has me stuck. I cant find any 79 caprice with those emblems on the side of the car. I know its the real caprice lol, cause of the VIN#, but Im puzzled. It has leather bench seats in the front, kind of a creme, white or beige, color. Headliner is the same color. Original radio, engine, everything. Thats the only reason I bought it because of that back window, LOVE IT MYSELF!!! But, the car is in great shape. 81,000 original miles, small sureface rust, but very solid. Trying to upload more pics of it on here. If anybody has any info, please help. Uploaded a pic of it on my avatar so you can look at it.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
All of the coupes had that window, and I'm pretty sure it's all one piece. They call it the "glasshouse", though I don't think the term is official. Never heard of a "crown coupe", so I can't tell you much there.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Lewiston Daily Sun - Google News Archive Search

Found this link on google. It explains of a 1973 Classic Crown Coupe. If you look all the way at the bottom right hand corner, it says MARCOTTE CHEVY. It then shows a 73 classic crown coupe and explains all the options is has. And it list a brushed aluminum roof crown, and I think that is what is on my car... Found a lil something I guess

·
Still Plays with Cars
282 Posts
I had a 1977 2 door 2 tone Caprice with that rear window many years ago. It was not a crown coupe though. I called it the first aero coupe.

·
Super Moderator
18,506 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, thats all I have been able to find on it, going to call around to classic car dealerships to see if I can get any more info on it. I only paid $1450 for the car as is, LOL, cant believe it

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Nice find there. It is commonly called the aero coupe with that rear window. All two doors from 1977-1979 had that window, I really like that window.

BTW welcome to the community.

·
Apex Everything
2,939 Posts
i'm a little late to the party, but welcome to the forum! i really like the 77-79 coupes, looks like you got a good car, particularly for the price

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes indeed, I think the guy that owned it before me died or something, because all of his previous registration was still in the car, everything, some of his mail, all types of stuff. Cant believe I found it. Showed he had the car back when it had only 62,000 on it, and that was in the year 2000. Crazy find....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sweet car man! Unrelated, but that would look wicked with some GM Rallye wheels on it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How to find which package or style the car is??

Thanks again, LOVE THIS DAMN CAR LOL, never selling it. Where would I find out which pacakage the car has as far as being an aerocoupe, and any other style??? I know there should be a label by the fire wall in the engine bay, but cant find it. Any help???

·
Super Moderator
18,506 Posts
Thanks again, LOVE THIS DAMN CAR LOL, never selling it. Where would I find out which pacakage the car has as far as being an aerocoupe, and any other style??? I know there should be a label by the fire wall in the engine bay, but cant find it. Any help???
Does the VIN come up with anything? Not too sure about the other numbers. Door jams? The trunk lid? There are stickers all over the place! :lol:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, had to decode the vin # online, its a 13 digit #, was kinda hard at first to do, but everything thing matches. Vin # on the inside of the driver side door, has mantience stickers from the previous owner, Vin # in the left corner of the window, but I know on some cars there is a stickcer on the firewall somewhere. most older cars have them I think. All the vin tells me is the make, model, type of engine, and where it was manufactured. Still want to be sure tho, thats all. And what type of rear end should I put on it???

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not anything wrong with it, just want a lil more power, already has a good engine in it. Just gonna tune the engine up, replace all gaskets, add headers and duals, shocks, just something simple, while at the sametime keeping it all stock.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts