Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.
I have '91 caprice classic. Unfortunatly I had crash:frown: . i'm going to repair my Caprice using parts from '93. I have oportunity to buy '93 ex-police model without drivetrain, but it is far away, so i have to be sure if parts will fit.
I want to ask about differences in body parts. I know that '93 model has different wheel wells, and trim. What about rear doors, front bumper with reinforcment, and hood? - will it fit? I have objections mainly with rear doors.
thanks, Mil

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
as far as sedans 91-96, the caprice,caprice 9c1 and impala, all 3 of these are the same as far as hoods,doors,glass (with the exception of the 1/4 window as they are diff from 95-96) and will work. The door panel (the inside plastic piece that holds the window/mirror/door lock and seat switches) is the only diff in those years I listed. 91-93 and 94-96 because the dash is diff so the door panel was diff, but the actual door/s will work fine.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Another interesting thing to think about is that most '91-3 9C1s had 3.42 posi rear ends. The posi is likely shot (no big deal), but if you swap whole axles and get a new speedo gear you could really wake up your car. Look on the SPID label on the trunk lid for GU6 (3.42 gears). [G80 is the code for posi]

A word of caution: 9C1 axles are slightly less wide than civilian ones. If you are running aftermarket rims and are tight on the inboard side of the wheel wells, then you might have a problem. For rims well centered in the wheel wells (pushed more outboard), there shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks for your answers. Really nice to hear that parts will work:smile: . I'm from Poland and caprice here is very rare. It's hard to get parts for these cars here and even harder is to talk with someone who knows something about these cars. I really like my caprice and im going to stay with it for a long time.
As for rear end I was allready thinking about swaping a diff(posi and gears) rather then whole axle - but here the same story - i have not enouhg information and knowledge. But we will see. Most important is to make my car look and drive as good as it had before crash.
Mil

·
Registered
624 Posts
Another interesting thing to think about is that most '91-3 9C1s had 3.42 posi rear ends. The posi is likely shot (no big deal), but if you swap whole axles and get a new speedo gear you could really wake up your car. Look on the SPID label on the trunk lid for GU6 (3.42 gears). [G80 is the code for posi]

A word of caution: 9C1 axles are slightly less wide than civilian ones. If you are running aftermarket rims and are tight on the inboard side of the wheel wells, then you might have a problem. For rims well centered in the wheel wells (pushed more outboard), there shouldn't be a problem.
dont forget too that the brake shoes and drums are bigger for the 9c1 than the sedan,not sure about the driveshaft, btw please dont crash it again,it sends a hurt through us all :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts