Impala Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping someone can help me in what direction to head next. A few months ago my blower motor on my 2000 impala LS (3.8 L) started acting up. Some speeds would not work, once in a while it would stay on after the car was shut off, causing me to have to pull the fuse. a couple of weeks later it quit all together. After doing some research on this site, most signs pointed to the blower control module/resistor. I replaced that last Saturday, and tried it out. Everything seemed to work well in the 30-45 seconds I tested it. the next morning when I left for work, I made it about a mile down the road and I had foul smelling smoke pouring out of the vents which pointed towards the heater core. I turned around and went back home for my truck. I tried it out last night, and have no smoke, but also only have blower speed #5 again. Is my heater core leaking and this took out the new module? Did I get a bad or the wrong Module? I also recently had to to the intake plenum, which may also point to the heater core. The floor is maybe a little damp on the passenger side, but no more than normal for the amount of snow we have yet, and doesn't really smell like coolant. There was a little bit of moisutre in the airbox when I dropped the blower motor out while replacing the module/resistor. Sorry to be so long winded, but just wanted to get as many facts in as I could. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Heater cores don't really develop leaks very often in these, any moisture you are seeing is most likely from a plugged drain in the fresh air intake area. The smoke was probably electrical, the blower continuing to run after the car is shut off would indicate a shorted wire somewhere, the smoke followed by a new problem only supports that.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts