Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 2012 impala and having trouble finding the plug in cord. Yep it does come with one and could use it here in alaska.

·
Super Moderator
10,946 Posts
Drivers side near air cleaner box. Has smart plug on it so a bit different looking to what you may be used to.

Good luck

·
Super Moderator
10,732 Posts
Is that standard equipment for 2012?

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Probably cold climate package. Snow plow attachment?

·
Super Moderator
10,946 Posts
I think it has to do with it's delivery location. Ones going to Cal or TX. AZ etc etc I dont think so but for the colder climes I believe they are just on there.
Can't find a car around these parts that does not have either a block heater or now the newer ones have oil pan heaters on them.
I bet this one delivered to AK would have one.

·
Banned
748 Posts
When i went to dealers asking about new cars they said "none of the cars come with factory installed block heater, they are usually installed by dealer prior to delivery to customer".
So make sure your dealer actually put it in, they might have just forgotten to do so.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
If the RPO code K05 is on the spid sticker then the factory did infact install a block heater. Not to say that it was'nt installed after the fact. The factory heater has a energy power saving cord that turns the power on to the block heater after the outside temp is 0 f or -18c if it's pluged in to 120vac.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
The moral of this story? Don't EVER rely on the dealer for information. 9x out of 10, they don't know so they make something up.

·
Banned
748 Posts
the guy disappeared wanted to know if he found the chord or if block heater existed on the vehicle ? So much suspense.

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
the guy disappeared wanted to know if he found the chord or if block heater existed on the vehicle ? So much suspense.
Um maybe a polar bear got him while he war looking:yikes:

·
Banned
748 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
2013 Impala

I have a used 2013 Impala and wondering if it is necessary to put a block heater in it for the winter. ND gets a little chilly at times.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I have a used 2013 Impala and wondering if it is necessary to put a block heater in it for the winter. ND gets a little chilly at times.
North of the border (Canada) 90 % of the autos have them and 70% of cars that park outside use them. On a real cold day it is a good idea to have one.
The block heater will only operate at or below -4F as there is a sensor on the power cord that controls this heater.
A good strong battery , a good synthetic 5W-30 oil and the coolant mixed 50/50 will in most cars will not have a problem.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Has anyone ever tried cutting out the 'smart' plug and using the block heater with a regular plug? I hate that the heater only works if the temperature is below -18 degrees celcius, excluding the windchill factor.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Has anyone ever tried cutting out the 'smart' plug and using the block heater with a regular plug? I hate that the heater only works if the temperature is below -18 degrees celcius, excluding the windchill factor.
What It does is it messes with the temp sensors when the car is started and may or may not cause a CEL light to luminate from the set code.

·
Super Moderator
10,946 Posts
It's an energy saving thing only. If it got to -19 the heater would come on anyway so no real difference.
Windchill has nothing to do with it.
-18 is -18, don't matter if it's blowing 100 mph, it's still only -18.
However.....
The new block heater cords don't lend themselves too well to having the plugs cut off. Cheapo made in China cords are, well,,,, cheapo made in China cords. Go to Can Tire and get a replacement cord that has the same heater end plug configuration and change it at the block heater.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I've seen a modification online where a piece of electrical wire is used to connect the two terminals together permanently. I wonder if that could work?

·
Super Moderator
10,946 Posts
You can just buy the cord that goes onto the block heater itself. They are easy to change. Take your existing one with you so you have the correct configuration that fits onto the heater. There are 3 or 4 different pin configs. Use some dialectic grease on it when you change it out. Easiest way, and wont have some ugly ass plug on the end that flops around and scratches your bumper cover etc. Cords are cheap.

Pictures here
https://www.google.ca/search?q=block+heater+replacement+cords&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj40KCZnrbKAhUQz2MKHYdCB7MQsAQIJQ&biw=1184&bih=564

1 - 20 of 25 Posts